Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012 | 02:00 PM
TheArchitect
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sarge1
I recently found a dealer here in my area that will let me 'try them out' before purchasing so I got a few miles to ride. Thanks again.
That's the way to go. Get it out on the freeway and ride in different directions in respect to the wind. When I bought my bike it came with the stock shield and an 8" shield with the flip/ curve at the top (I forget the brand). The buffeting was pretty bad on the stock shield, so I switched to the taller shield and it was actually worse. Apparently the taller the shield then the more negative pressure develops behind it which in turn draws more of the buffeting air up from underneath the fairing. Anyway, I just mentioned in another thread that I installed the 6.5" KW Flare over the weekend. I really love the way it looks, but its performance is largely dependent upon wind direction. I rode it about 70 miles on Saturday and in one direction there was still quite a bit of buffeting, but when I turned around I was surprised at how much smoother it got, I could even ride with my faceshield up at 70 mph. I'm 5'-8" and I think that's a lot of the problem. Taller people aren't sitting with their head right in that turbulent zone like I am.

Old 04-23-2012 | 03:41 PM
tbills66
Cruiser

I'm 5'10" and use a 6.5" hd.