Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok guys, how do I fix this trim ring gap..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you get it to fit right, Prepare yourself for the whistle. I chased a noise all last week, turned out it was the trim ring. Sounded like you was holding a pop bottle out a car window, Liked to drive me nuts.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Don't really get this. I have installed the frenched and visor trim ring on several bikes on 3 different style headlights and have never had the issue with any gap.

-Loosen stock trim ring as much as possible without completely removing it
-Take the screw and nut out of the new trim ring and slide it over the stock ring until it "snaps" into place
-Put the screw and nut back in the new trim ring and tighten it up until you just have enough room to fit a screwdriver between the gap
-Now tighten the original trim ring screw
-Finally tighten the new trim ring.

No gap

Not as easy to see but no gap here either

Gapless

Barely see but there is no gap on this one either.

that is exactly what I did...but big gap at the bottom...maybe 1/4 inch

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
HD_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my trick to modify the headlight bezel if you're using a "french" or "visor" trim ring. Harley wants you to install the OEM trim ring underneath the new trim ring. I find this to be a crappy way to do it. However, the new trim ring is too loose without it.

So, what I did was install a series of eight small screws around the headlight bezel. The screws are 8/32" and placed evenly around the bezel while ensuring the headlight adjustment screws or the bezel-to-fairing mount screws are not obstructed. With a small nut on each side, these screws act as posts that fit inside the back-edge lip of the new trim ring, providing a secure and snug fit while eliminating the inner / OEM trim ring completely. And of course, this also gets rid of the trim ring gap as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Rider
Here's my trick to modify the headlight bezel if you're using a "french" or "visor" trim ring. Harley wants you to install the OEM trim ring underneath the new trim ring. I find this to be a crappy way to do it. However, the new trim ring is too loose without it.

So, what I did was install a series of eight small screws around the headlight bezel. The screws are 8/32" and placed evenly around the bezel while ensuring the headlight adjustment screws or the bezel-to-fairing mount screws are not obstructed. With a small nut on each side, these screws act as posts that fit inside the back-edge lip of the new trim ring, providing a secure and snug fit while eliminating the inner / OEM trim ring completely. And of course, this also gets rid of the trim ring gap as well.

another way of doing it is:
- remove the stock ring.
- take up the extra space by wrapping door or window insulation (the kind with the sticky side, you get at any hardware store) all around the lamp.
- try the new ring. if it's loose, add more, too tight take some out.
your done.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you like the ring, but you don't like the commitments . get rid of her ,,, it's like asking your friends . if she's good enough for you to marry

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

well, I took the trim ring back to the store and got another [of the same ] and it fits some better....still a gap but not neer as big....the [not so] funny thing was the parts guy cleaned the one I took back put it back in the package and hung it back up on the wall to sell again...for the next poor sucker to get pissed at.....and to top it off on the way back to the dealer I picked up a nail and had to get the tire fixed while i was there...hell of a day I tell you...i guess if you are going to get a flat it should be at the repair shop...

Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have installed them on 2 bikes and found with the stock trim ring loosened slightly the crack goes away by retightening it after some miles. It seems that it sort of settles in by the vibration, stretching and forming to fit.

There is a discussion to the problem here:
Say no to Headlight Trim Ring Crack

Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,875 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I have the old style rings on all of our bikes with no large gap at the bottom.

As on guy previously suggested, loosen the screw that holds the OEM ring until it is play in it.
Then install the new ring over the OEM ring making sure that it is in behind the OEM ring.
Once this is done, tighten the screw in the OEM ring and then install and tighten the screw and nut in the new ring until the gap fully closes.

Perhaps you had an over sized OEM ring or an undersized new ring?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 259 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds like a real PITA. Glad I don't have them!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

As described in an above post, make sure you loosen the stock trim ring and seat the new one under it. As you can see in my pic, the bottom has no gap, but I gave a gap around the light. It bothered me at first, but I just learned to live with it. I really don't even notice it anymore.

Quick Reply: ok guys, how do I fix this trim ring gap..