Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a test ride today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:25 PM
gump305
|
Cruiser
Default Had a test ride today

Well I had a great test ride today. I test rode two bikes and I must say the touring platform is sooooo nice. My current ride is a 2011 Dyna Super Glide, I put on mini apes, quick detach windscreen, and other small items. Nice ride but I have always thought something was missing. So off to the dealer for alittle test ride. Here are my thoughts on each bike.

1st Ride- 2011 Road King
What can you say, it really is the king of smooth. I started out the ride a little nervous, but by 2nd gear all that just seemed to melt away. It was like riding on a cloud, just lean to the left and there you go, just like gliding through the air. This bike had the 96 inch motor but that really didn't seem to matter, just grab some throttle and the power comes on smooth with just enough vibes to let you know there is a V twin down there. I could ride this bike everyday and everything would just about be right with the world.

2nd Ride- 2012 Street Glide BBP
Wow, how can a bike with the same frame feel so different. Not in a bad way, just different. The bike seemed to be planted to the road and you really feel like you are one with the ride. It screams look at me, touch me, and you know you want too. As soon as you sit on the seat, hit the start button and the 103 inch motor comes to life you know something special is about to take place. You get adjusted in the seat pull in the clutch and you start to have butterfly's in you stomach. You put the bike in gear and with a solid but smooth clunk you feel a smile starting to come out of nowhere on your face. Once you let out the clutch and the feeling of the motor starts to pull it's almost surreal.

Whats not to like about this bike, the handling was solid and gave you the feed back that lets you feel like the bike is an extension of you senses. The fairing makes you not feel so exposed, and the gauges have a well thought out placement. I did get alittle buffeting at speeds above 65 or so, but that is easily corrected. I know some would say that a radio is just out of place on a bike, but I feel it just ads to the experience.

If it was a perfect world and I had the funds to do so, I surely would take both home. I could have either bike and be perfectly happy, but the looks and the feeling of being connected to the road give the lead to the Street Glide. The Road King is so far ahead of other bikes in its class that it should be in its own class. There is something that just pulls me in when I look at the Street Glide though. Soon it will be mine and I can finally say I have arrived.

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:32 PM
outlawjess
Advanced

I love my sg..

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:35 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The SG is a sweet ride,but remember you can never go wrong with a RK.

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:44 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Default RK Didn't Do It For Me

I know -- to each his own and all that.
Took a test ride on the new RK a few times over the years -- love the look, but the ride just didn't do it for me. Same touring frame -- way different ride and riding position at least for me.
My girl encouraged me to get exactly what I wanted each time -- finally ended up on the current Ultra machine a couple of years ago -- we so enjoy riding that bike -- shoulda done it long ago.
You'll love the one you pick -- but really tough to beat the SG for all the reasons you stated!

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:00 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

I've had them both. They are both great motorcycles. You just need to decide what you want to ride:

1. Road King - the foundation for all Touring bikes, made to look like a 1965 Electra Glide, very versatile, removeable windshield. It has a retro look that is appealing to many.

2. Street Glide - the hot rod bagger look, stripped down fenders, minimalist type motorcycle, in high demand so everyone has one (so it seems) and has a fairing. Cost about $2,000 more than a Road King.

I bought the Road King after going back forth for months. 6 months later I took it in for the 5,000 mile service and rode out with a Street Glide.

Good luck in your decision. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

jeez, sounds like he works for H-D !

either way is pretty good.

my choice the FLHTC

Mike

Old 04-20-2012 | 12:50 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Both great bikes, can't go wrong either way and it was a tough decsion for me as well. But chose the SG for sitting me a bit lower than the RK and that hot rod look with duals.

Old 04-20-2012 | 01:41 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

you hit the description of the sg out the park...dead on bro!!!!

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:18 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior

Just shows you have good taste.

When I started looking at bikes, I thought I would get a RK. Glad none of the ones I sat on really called to me because once I found my SG, there was no doubt that it was the one I wanted.

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:50 AM
gump305
|
Cruiser

Yeah its been a long week of going back and forth and total loss of sleep. The SG just has so many things going for it that it is a good value with room to grow and make it your own. I think if I bought the RK I would always have a little voice in my head saying you should have gotten the SG. It's only $40.00 more a month. It's also in my favorite color Big Blue Pearl, are you kidding me. That thing looks like sex on wheels!!

Quick Reply: Had a test ride today