Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost dumped her!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klaybus
Yep, & it happens FAST too. I think most all riders can relate to what happened to you at one time or another. If not, they're turn is coming.
I agree - it's not if it's when it's going to happen it's when! - I had a hell of a time with the side stand - almost dropped it twice & did drop it once - I bought the side stand extension & it took care of the problem - best mod I have made to the bike for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone said, the good thing about these 'lessons', and hopefully not too painful ones, is that once learned, they're not easily forgotten. Like staying OFF the front brake when turning sharply at low speed. I won't forget that one.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Good that you were able to save it. We have all been there, and most of us a bit further.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM
alaskanadams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaves in a parking space = verrrry slick. Also wearing tennis shoes don't help. These bikes get very heavy in a hurry. Lessons learned. Have owned motorcycles since I was 12, but the learning curve never ends..........later.........mark

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brandss
I have to be honest. I hate, at the moment these things happen, but, in the long run I learn to appreciate them. It's kind of like a permanant wake up call how quickly crap can happen. It never leaves your mind and in my opinion, makes you a better rider, one that anticipates all of the possibilities. I have two that I will share (many more that I keep in my mind). First one is I'm riding my Honda, brand new bike, to get a hair cut. (i'm 20 yrs old I think) Turn into the barbers parking lot, doing all of 10 mph and all of a sudden the bike drops. Come to find out, the just laid new gravel the day before. I knew it was a gravel lot, didn't have any idea how slick new gravel was. The second was my brother and I were driving on back country roads that we weren't familiar with. Came to a 90 degree curve that wasn't marked with a sign. Went straight through the curve and stopped in the grass. If a car had been coming the other direction....well, you get the point. Being 46 yrs old now, I find myself looking at what the drivers around me are doing, anticipating their mistakes. Just tonight, I came up on an on ramp that in often congested. I was in the fast lane and had a cager in the merge lane. He was on his cell phone and new he wasn't ready for the oncoming traffic. I let off and sure enough, he jerked his wheel left at the last minute. You have to be a totally defensive driver on a a bike
Good points! File the experiences away and become more alert and aware of the possibilities in future situations that are similar.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by alaskanadams
Leaves in a parking space = verrrry slick. Also wearing tennis shoes don't help. These bikes get very heavy in a hurry. Lessons learned. Have owned motorcycles since I was 12, but the learning curve never ends..........later.........mark
Right on Mark, the shoes I had on were very similar to tennis shoes and very low profile.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did that on my very first ride. Was not as fortunate as you. Also, that's when I realized I had no clue how to pick the bike back up. I googled it when I got back home.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We got to ride about 200 miles yesterday afternoon and stopped after a few hours for a bite to eat. The streetside parking spot had a slight slope to it & there was sand out about 2 ft from the curb, as I soon found out... My left foot slid out about a foot & I was on the very edge of keeping us up and considering the last resort of having to try to lay it down gently.
All of a sudden the bike felt lighter & I was able to right it. Talking to the wife about it, she said her foot wouldn't reach the ground but she did lean as far as she could the opposite way. Her fast thinking kept us upright.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
TOUR'N
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guilty! I bought an 82 FLH, first day bringing it home, pulled into the driveway, then onto the yard, and went to put my right foot down. The slope of the yard was a lot higher on the left side of the bike. I went over on the right side just as the wife, and in-laws, and friends came out the door. Hurts more when people are watching. Hasn't' happened since.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to watch stopping at toll booths on parkways. Hot cars on the highway drop tons of oil right where you put your feet down at the tolls. Watched a friend go down that way. This may not be as much of an issue these days with Easypass. Same thing happens at busy intersections, particularly when people are running air conditions in their cages and water collects on the road on top of the slick oil.

Quick Reply: Almost dumped her!!