Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
aflstn95
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters

Does anyone know if a lifter can be put in the wrong way? I know the anti rotation pin only allows you to put it in two ways, but is either way ok? I've had guys tell me numerous things. Some yes some no. Oh yea this is on a Twin Cam 88.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 154 Posts

If they are new stock style lifters they can go in either way, if they are used they should have been marked when removed so rotation remains the same. Woods sells some directional lifters that only go one way,not likely that you have them.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always told to put them back in, in the same way the originals/old ones were set in.

Some say the oil holes inward; some say outward. I've even read manuals that say the same thing; some inward, some outward.

If you are replacing, it doesn't 'really' matter, necessarily, but again replace as before. If you pulled them and are re-installing the same ones, then put them back in the same way they were prior to pulling them. This will reduce any wear they may endure, due to fitment, etc.

I just installed a set of Gatorman Lifters, and they are directional (only one flat for the rotation pin). Previously, I intalled lifters in the exact way they came out.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't matter...the oil hole in the side of the lifter will relief within the lifter bore....look into the bore and you'll notice the bore has a groove 360*. As posted , you should keep them spinning the same direction as previously installed...then again, they said that about car tires for the last 100 years...now they say rotate them from side to side...in essence spin them back wards....so who knows for sure. I say, if you dont know where the lifters came from, install them and dont worry about it, It'll be fine. The nay sayers will be by shortly to correct me....lol. But dont believe what they say..they only know what the read on the web, lol.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
Doesn't matter...the oil hole in the side of the lifter will relief within the lifter bore....look into the bore and you'll notice the bore has a groove 360*. As posted , you should keep them spinning the same direction as previously installed...then again, they said that about car tires for the last 100 years...now they say rotate them from side to side...in essence spin them back wards....so who knows for sure. I say, if you dont know where the lifters came from, install them and dont worry about it, It'll be fine. The nay sayers will be by shortly to correct me....lol. But dont believe what they say..they only know what the read on the web, lol.

I think it actually takes miles off the tires!!