Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading the Dragons Tail Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heading the Dragons Tail Tuesday

Myself and 4 others are heading to the Dragons Tail next Tuesday the 24th from here in Indiana. Most of the guys have been before but i havent so really looking forward to it. We are going to ride the famous dragons tail but from what i have read, talked to people about and seen pics of the roads around it are the best riding in the area. Anyway give me your thoughts and past experience if you have been. I dont want to end up on the famous "Tree of Shame". Thanks guys!!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ride smart and you'll be fine. I prefer the Cherohala for riding. If you all think the Dragon is bad...try 32 out of Cosby. Same 10 miles long without the idiots. It's twisty...but VERY fun, you'll never see a semi and 53' trailer, I'll guarantee it.

While your down that way...mow my lawn at our cabin....it probably needs it by now.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
allenalee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cosby

where is cosby

Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by allenalee
where is cosby
Look at Google maps, Cosby TN is out 321 between Gatlinburg and I-40
I live about 75 miles from the Dragon. Everybody should do it at least once. I've been on it numerous times and haven't met an 18 wheeler yet.
While you are there, ride Moonshiner Hwy 28 and go by Fontana Dam. They filmed some of the Fugitive Movie there. Ton's of good riding in the area. Ride Safe!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior

Thanks ronp42 for the info and im sure it will be a blast!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion, the Cherahala Skyway is the best ride in the Smokeys. Much less traffic and the views are breathtaking. Do the Dragon, but make time for the Cherahala as well. I promise you won't be disappointed. It connects Robbinsville, NC with Tellico Plains, TN and is about 50 miles long.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really a bad road in the area. Where are you staying? When we went last summer we stayed in Maggie Valley. If you are going that way take 25E out of KY, great 4 lane road most the way. This would depend on where in IN you are coming from and what way you are taking there.

Last edited by Nightrain04; 04-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things to watch for..........crotch rockets coming from behind and wanting to pass and on coming traffic going wide out of their lane on corners. Was there last year and a bunch of Harley`s took off like hell and I told my wife we would see them in the ditch up the road. We left behind them about a couple of minutes and quess what? Brand new Ultra laying on it`s side and other riders just checking rider to see if he was ok! Off camber corners can take the weight of the bike right out from under you. Be careful and don`t over ride your bike and riding skills. Tree of Shame had alot more "stuff" on it since the last time we were there!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone should experience the dragon, but you are right there is better more enjoyable riding around that area.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior

I keep hearing dont over ride yourself so i will for sure keep that in mind. Nightrain we dont know where we are staying we are just going with the flow when we get there.

Quick Reply: Heading the Dragons Tail Tuesday