Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading the Dragons Tail Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justglidin
I keep hearing dont over ride yourself so i will for sure keep that in mind. Nightrain we dont know where we are staying we are just going with the flow when we get there.
Seem to be the best plan to just "wing it". 3 of us went and I was the only one who had done it before. Just pace yourself.

Also, I wish we would have done the wheels thru time museum in MV.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Dragon is easy if you aren't trying to win a race. You'll be able to say you rode it. Agree about the Cherohala and others. I rode the BRP and Skyline all the way north. Don't forget your rain gear.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make time for The Wheels Thru Time in Maggie Valley you will be glad you did. Just check the website for hours http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/adm...and-hours.html

Great riding and like many have said ride your ride and don't worry about the others you will see them at the end.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Make time for The Wheels Thru Time in Maggie Valley you will be glad you did. Just check the website for hours http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/adm...and-hours.html

Great riding and like many have said ride your ride and don't worry about the others you will see them at the end..
+1 It was definitly worth it. Dale, the owner is a real cool guy. I love that everything there runs and gets ridden. Youll probably see him or his son doing burnouts or wheelies on some of those awesome old bikes.

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 04-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

just like the rest said "know your skills" and be sure and order some pics of you and the others riding. There are people taking action pics of everyone riding. I bought $200.00 worth because my son was with me and I knew we would prolly never ride together again.
and I'm tight w/ money. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!
Kroozeabout.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Spur56
Road Captain

Ride the dragon on a weekday. Weekdays you will have less stupid people on the dragon. Cherohala is great. If you are in Maryville TN they have a great HD dealer there. I believe they have started their Friday night concert series. Look up The Shed at Smokey Mtn HD. Lot's of fun riding. Be safe.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

From a fellow Hoosier, you will enjoy. As has been stated, all the other roads and the Dragon, all awesome. Do the Wheels Through Time Museum as been suggested in Maggie Valley. Stay OUT & AWAY from Gatlenburg, yuck.

My ToD advice... Maintain a steady speed, don't race, enjoy the scenery, watch your rear view mirror and stay in your lane and side of the road, and anticipate the turns ahead of you. There are some serious switchbacks.

The Hellbender 28 is a good twisty too!

Tail of the Dragon Pictures

Tail of The Dragon Video

Hellbender 28 Video

Last edited by ChristoHD; 04-19-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM
confused
Road Captain

Yep, ride on a weekday
Been many times
Hit it on a wed or thurs and had the place to myself
Another time hit it on a Sat and I swore they were having a GP Road Race

Lots of info here as well as maps to other rodes

http://tailofthedragon.com/

Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you leave the area, stop in to the store at the east end of the dragon and pickup a commemorative dragon sticker. You can get t-shirts and the like off the web but the sticker is only available at the store for those who actually made the ride.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
cave9269
Advanced

Been many times...all on a sportbike.
I was the the guy annoyed at the Hogs that would not yeild...

So....

On the HD, just take your time and enjoy the irony that you are a 1/2 ton of fun on the twistiest road this side of the Mississippi.

Pull to the shoulder and let the sportbikes pass with a wave.....they are there for a different reason than you.

Smile and wave at the road side photags....make a mental note of who they were and jot it down when you get to the end so you can buy your pic online.

Get a T-shirt and Dragon sticker at the store on the Southern End.

Continue South and Ride the Bootlegger (formerly the Hellbender)

Everything else everyone said is true esp. the part RE: the Cherahola Skyway....also check out the Foothills Parkway at the Northern end of the Dragon.

I will be there the 1st week of June.....me and my boys rent a cabin in Townsend every year for a week.....this will be the 1st year one of us is on a HD.....ME!!!!.... and I'm proud of it and never going' back!......

.......the rest of my crew are on Euro Trash sportbikes (Ducati and BMW) with a Buell, a Triumph, and a single Jap ST.

Have fun and don't worry about it...if it's busy it's like riding in a parade anyway.

Quick Reply: Heading the Dragons Tail Tuesday