Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?

I was thinking about ordering some
" Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards "
Anyone here have them ? opinions ?

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?-desert-dawgs-highway-bar-rain-guards.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have them, use them and love them. Easy on, easier off. Cut the rain, the wind. I take them off when it is above 50F, Therefore they are on almost all winter. My feet stay dry and warm enough with just a wool sock in an uninsulated boot. I have not used my heated boot liners all winter. (Heated grips, gloves and jacket liner yes.

These and the National Cycle handguards are two mods I will make to every bike I own in the future.

added:

Mine are the Vinyl Desert Dawgs and look good after two years of riding in the rain and salt spray on the roads. They have pockets but I have never used the pockets for anything and can't imagine what I would want to put into them. But the Desert Dawgs side over my bars and footpegs, snap together and there is a strap and buckle that joins the two sides. Then a wrap with a thin velcro onewrap on the bottom and ride away with the rain and wind off your feet. For maintenance I wiped the salt spray off them with a damp sponge.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 04-19-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
DrQ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LeatherPros Leather Lowers-love mine!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never seen any that go all the way to the frame, they only cover 3/4 of the crash bar, to much wind and water gets through, kind of defeats the purpose of having them. There are better products out there.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Airlite Engine Guard chaps on my 2009 Street Glide and loved them. Easy to put on, no flapping around snaps - close smooth, kept all the water off of me and made legs much warmer when it was cold. If I recall, they could stay on up to 60 degrees. http://www.airlite.ca/

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool thanks for the info

i just rode 200 miles and it was a little cool comming home , could have used some lowers

Last edited by baust55; 04-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,337 Likes on 1,869 Posts

A couple of years ago we were on a trip and the weather turned cold, nasty and very wet (as in downpour!)

My wife rides a Heritage and I knew, that even though she was not complaining, that she had to be freezing
We stopped at the Harley shop in Waynesboro, VA and I bought her a pair of the cloth/canvas, HD lowers that strap onto the engine/crash bar.
Man did she appreciate those little buggers!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by crfranklin65
I used Airlite Engine Guard chaps on my 2009 Street Glide and loved them. Easy to put on, no flapping around snaps - close smooth, kept all the water off of me and made legs much warmer when it was cold. If I recall, they could stay on up to 60 degrees. http://www.airlite.ca/
+1, I have these and they are great. I believe they say 50 degrees.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about the 50/60 degree thing. I know that is what THEY say, but people have lowers on all year in 100 degree + weather. Why don't people take their lowers off in 50 degree + weather? You will really feel the heat if the covers are on in hot weather since you can't blow the heat away from your feet, but I don't know that they do any damage to the bike. I take them off when it gets hot because it is more comfortable for me, not because I'm worried about the bike.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sure they are great.
I have the Harley Logo guards in a nylon material, they go on easy, fold small to fit in the bags when not in use and make an unbelievable difference in comfort when riding in the wet and the cold. Cost about $60, well worth having for the money.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?