Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by baust55
ummmm seems like the advantage would being able to use them in the rain when its WARMER .. the HD and a few other brands of rain gaters recomend taking them off at temps above 50f ... most of the riding i have done in the rain it was deffinatly over 50f.

There is no advantage, my chaps go all the way to the frame and I use them in any temperature, never had a problem. People with lowers use them in all temperatures, chaps are no different. The only difference is now your feet are going to get wet and cold wind is going to blow on you.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmmmm..........

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?-57316.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 AM
nightsterO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
There is no advantage, my chaps go all the way to the frame and I use them in any temperature, never had a problem. People with lowers use them in all temperatures, chaps are no different. The only difference is now your feet are going to get wet and cold wind is going to blow on you.
Or how cooling wind is going to blow on you.

Lots of good stuff here guys, thanks.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I got some soft lowers for my '94 RK for cold and rain. Didn't think they really helped much, looked like ***, were a pain to take on/off and haul around. Sat in the garage til I gave them away. Trying out hard lowers on the '09, great place for speakers.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

so far they work great for me .
All positive comments are from actual users.... all negative comments buy those that "Imagine" how they work or users of a similar but diffrent products .

Hummmm...

Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife has a set of Desert Dawgs on her Softail Deluxe.
I tried a set of Airlites that my brother has and I noticed (even with the mesh center) that it acted like a plow meaning the air gushed up around the tank then up and under my helmet. Without the Airlite I have no air problem around the tank.
I ended up ordering a set similar to the Desert Dawg from an individual in Canada but has 2 straps instead of the lower velcro attachment and was less expensive. The craftsmanship and material was top notch.
If anyone is interested I can be pm'd and I'll look for the invoice.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

HA I finally was caught in a long down poor .I was riding home from a recent trip to Wisconsin rode 670 miles in 12 hours and got rained on three times .
I was amazed during an hour long down poor my boots and rain pants had only a few drops on them . They really did the job .

I like them best because they keep the semis from blowing my feet off the boards when they roll buy .

Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm also thinking of a set of Airlites for this winter.
And a set of the National cycle hand guards
I had the hand guards on m last two bikes, with them I can ride down to 40 deg wearing light weight mechanix gloves....

Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone use these ones with the mustache engine guard? Seems like it's a bit shorter and may not work as well. I want to do something, the combo of cold wind drilling my knees and legs plus the buffetting on the highway is getting old.

Bike is an '07 Road King, currently -4" on the windshield. Changing windshield height did nothing, I started at +2 and cut off an inch at a time. -4" was where I ended up, and it felt about the same as +2 only the visibility was much better

Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

I think Desert Dawgs make them for the mustache bars ? check there web site out .http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/dese...de-road-glide/

I bought mine on sale from Dennis Kirk looks like the manufacture has the ones for mustache bars on sale .

Quick Reply: Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?