Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
oldtech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine temps are lower because air is funneled in towards the heads, If you look at dawg mounted on the bars they direct the air and are less wide then stock which block the air. I had to check to believe my self, MK guitar said his runs cooler with harley har lowers which prompted me to do the test.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 AM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anybody make these in a mesh? I think that would be good for deflecting bugs and road debris from the bike, but would let air through so would not affect temperature.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by jrat69
Does anybody make these in a mesh? I think that would be good for deflecting bugs and road debris from the bike, but would let air through so would not affect temperature.
Airlite made in BC uses a mesh center and velcro to attach solid panels on each side. They may be able to make one custom with even more mesh. Those that have it really like them for the easy on, easy off. For now, I am really happy with my Desert Dawgs.

http://www.airlite.ca/

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

i orderd a set of Desert Dawgs from Dennis Kirk . i'll let you know how they work out when i get them.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok Dennis Kirk got Desert Dawgs to me in 3 days.
They look good, fit nice, easy to put on .
I took the King for a test ride ,,,,so far good! air behind the windscreen much calmer.

I'll let ya know how they perform next time i get caught in the rain,

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?-desert-dawgs.jpg  

Last edited by baust55; 05-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
hedotwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's had Dawgs on her Deluxe for a year now and she loves them. Fit and material is great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7230579@N05/7134150435/

Last edited by hedotwo; 05-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I have a pair of ea. D/Dawgs & HD nylon or whatever that material is.
I think the straps on the HD ones are sturdier. The dawgs just have a velcro strap @ the bottom that kind of loops around the bottom of the crash bar.
On the other hand I've never had a problem. Either will accept hwy pegs.

I couldn't really tell on mine (it runs cool anyways) but the wife's 03 seemed to run a little cooler with them on (5-10 deg oil temp)

But it would be too hot on the legs riding with those things on over 70 deg.
Here in lovely Calif, they're a cold morning thing . . . Or a damnit I just got stuck in the rain thing . . . which they work.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I didn't get my chaps (crash guard covers) to direct air onto the motor and cool it off. I got them to stop the rain and air from soaking and freezing me, I believe that is their intended purpose, meaning the reason they were created. I still say something like the airlites (which I don't have) work far better at their intended purpose than desert dawgs which cover much less area and allow much more water and cold air to pass.

On a freezing cold day those desert dawgs are going to allow icy air to run up your legs, add water to that and your shoes and legs are going to get soaked. With a little more coverage you won't have any of that, you will stay warm as can be and you will remain dry. I've tried it with both types and only one works the way it is supposed to. I prefer full chaps over half chaps. No doubt some are made better than others so you need to shop around, but there is no way I would waste my money on a pair of half chaps.

Last edited by jjnoble; 05-02-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

ummmm seems like the advantage would being able to use them in the rain when its WARMER .. the HD and a few other brands of rain gaters recomend taking them off at temps above 50f ... most of the riding i have done in the rain it was deffinatly over 50f.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

ok out for a ride today with the Desert Dawg engine rain guards on,89f ........my preception was no increas in heat around my legs .
just a nice day for a ride .

havn't got caught in the rain yet.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Desert Dawgs Highway Bar Rain Guards ?