Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You will do fine, know your limits, take the course and get to know your bike. IF you ever have any dobut, back off. that is the best advice I can give. shinny side up!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the new SG!
I'm a real rookie compared to some guys here - i've only been riding for 8 years.
Def. take the course and get your first "drop" out of the way on the rental 250's.

Here's what my Grandpa said to me when i got my first bike:
1. Think the front brake is stronger than it is. you'll learn to be light on it
also, don't touch it when you're not going straight.
2. Think the bike is heavier than it is - it'll make you pay attention when going slow .. in time you'll learn its really not
3. Think the corner is sharper than it is. You'll slow down and be ready for whats on the other side. In time you'll learn to ride it.
4. Think you're going faster than you are. you won't ride so close to the person in front of you.
5. Ride like the cars don't see you.... cause they dont.

... Theres no happy saying to the end of #5. thats just the truth.

Good Luck and welcome to the club!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 AM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never ride beyond your capabilities. Take your time and start slow. If you ride with a fast bunch, do not be afraid to let them go ahead. Congrads on the purchase.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Hi Guys. Well I have always wanted a Harley so I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Taking delivery of a Street Glide on Monday. I have never ridden a bike before and now I'm a little nervous maybe the bike is too big for me based on what a few people have said to me. I have experience with high performance snowmobiles and atv's so I'm reasonably proficient with stuff like that. My original thought was to buy the bike I want and not have to spend the money a year from now anyways after taking a bath on the bike I didn't. Can't go back now, paid in full, so any tips on handling a Street Glide vs a smaller metric bike or sportster etc?

p.s. I am taking the MSF bike course on May 11th weekend.

Back in the day, a buddy bought his brand new Honda inline 4 cylinder in the dead of winter and had asked me to go along to the dealer with him. It was already dark as night. Believing he had prior experience, you can imagine my shock when he began asking the salesman what the various parts of the bike were used for. We're not talking wiring harnesses here: clutch and brake levers, kickstarter, etc!) Despite my attempts to convince him otherwise, after the salesman pointed out how to use the throttle (not kidding!), he rode the bike 10 miles to his house, stopping only to shake some blood into his glove-less hands in the 20 degree weather!

Contrarily, after being off a bike for 16 years, you should have seen me pull my HD out of the dealership on a Summer Friday afternoon in heavy traffic. This was NOT Born to be Wild! I would have done better on a moped.

Just go REAL EASY, if possible have a friend on a bike or in a cage go with you and follow you safely home.

Congrats.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kdodd
Never ride beyond your capabilities. Take your time and start slow. If you ride with a fast bunch, do not be afraid to let them go ahead. Congrads on the purchase.
This is very good advice. So is buying Proficient Motorcycling. Get it at Amazon.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I would recommend adding the Electra Glide rear crash bars that are left off the Street Glide. You will sing praises to your wisdom the first time you drop the bike.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

The most exciting time of my life was when I was 18 and green as grass to motorcycle riding.

I had a total of 15 minutes of riding time on my bud's 69 Honda CL350, and then ran out and got my brand new 74 Honda CB750! Immediately, it was me with no skills, and full throttle wherever I went! Not recommended, but very exciting, and I got through it with barely a scratch.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

Kinda late to be worried about whether you can ride the bike. Take it slow and easy. keep those bars straight at stops.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started this thread almost 2 months ago, funny to see it revived. I have taken the msf course, ride like a pro dvd's, and have over 1000 miles on the bike so far. Everything seems to be coming together and I am quite comfortable. I am VERY glad I went to the bike I wanted first and didn't get a small machine. I'm already wanted more power and put a stage 1 on it.

Thanks for everyone's advice in the beginning, it was a HUGE help and I really appreciated it!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

Congrats on the new glide, MSF course will do wonders.......

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer