Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and have fun.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I don't think a full size touring bike is a good choice for a first-timer rider with no experience. I would suggest you park the big one and borrow a smaller light weight bike to at least get through the MFS course.

Having said all of that, if you have a good sense of balance you may get through it ok without to many scraps and dings in your new scoot.
I didn't put a single ding or scratch on my Ultra learning how to ride. I will admit to using every bit of muscle I have to keep it up a few times when stopping. I just say a bike that big reinforces the lessons you learn really hard!

I dropped it one time turning around on grass and front wheel fell in a hole.

I wouldn't recommend a bike that big either, but he has it now so go get busy learning. Just know it will be a little more difficult.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

All good advice above. The MSF course is a GREAT idea before you ride. My 2 cents--start small. Not with the bike, but with the rides. Stay on local neighborhood roads that you know well and slowly build up as your confidence builds. As others have said, if you are going to drop the bike, it will be in a low speed turn. Turning sharply at an intersection from a stop sign, for example. It sounds dumb, but the importance of turning your head to look where you want to go can't be over emphasized. If you look at that gravel shoulder where you don't want to go, you'll end up in it. Practice slow turns and U-turns in an empty parking lot until you are comfortable with those moves. Order Ride Like a Pro now! It explains low speed maneuvers extremely well and the tricks to doing them on a large touring bike.

Most of all, congratulations, and welcome to the Harley family!

Post some pics when you get the bike!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM
ShrinerRider
Road Captain

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I am in a similar situation, after 15 years off bikes (sport bikes) I bought an Ultra Classic after my last deployment. i took the MSF course while waiting for the bike to arrive. After the dealer brought it to my door, I started off in parking lots and the neighborhood. I have made good progress in the last 3 weeks. My only advice, is once I moved from parking lots to the highways I have not been back. After reading these posts, I am going to hit a parking lot today and work more on my slow speed riding, I think it is truly the key to riding a bike this heavy. The UC does drive itself once over 10 mph, so the first gear stuff is the most important. it has only been 3 weeks for me, but I am definitely hooked!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My first bike was '98 Ultra Classic, never rode a heavy weight before in my life. I learned to ride by taking a course where they taught you how to counter steer, emergency stopping in a turn, how to brake etc. The course as others have said is good. Best advise is to ride it like your invisible. Cars don't always see a bike and many accidents happen because of it. If you ride with others, great, but ride within your comfort level. If the pack gets ahead then let them go, your safety should be your first concern.
Hope this helps and congrats on your purchase, you'll love your first ride, I did!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

I did the same thing 3 years ago. I had ridden bikes before, but never owned one. I went out and bought a brand new Deluxe. A lot of people said it was a bad idea, but I took the Rider's Edge course....which was awesome and very helpful.....and I just took it slow. Respect you new machine......don't fear it!

Be safe, take it slow and enjoy!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride your own at the level that you're comfortable at. Don't let anyone push you into a spot that you're not ready to be in. Enjoy the experience and be careful. One more thing.....if you ever start thinking that you have learned everything that you can about riding, get your affairs in order. You'll learn every time you ride.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have received a lot of very good advice on this blog. If you will take that advice, start out slow, take some training, you will be fine. These bikes are easy to ride ONCE you get things in order. Have fun, take it easy and get some training.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM
neverbonestock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everyone. Just take it slow and learn your new ride. Take the Harley Riders Course as well. Great opportunity to learn from seasoned riders.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Warehouse41ant
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably nothing new with my advice vs others, but IMO this isn't an issue with the bike being a SG... I would offer this advice to a first timer on an 883: take a rider safety course.

No matter how much experience you have with power sports, if it hasn't had two wheels, it isn't exactly the same. You will probably have a good understanding of how to get the bike to start and stop, the MSF will teach you how to maneuver in an emergency and instill some basic mental fundamentals that you likely aren't aware of. Not only that,it's FUN!

It will make you a better rider and keep your wheels on the road. Nobody wants to lay down their $20k baby approaching a stop light. Hurts the pride and the pocketbook.

Take it slow on Monday, pat yourself on the back when you get it home in one piece, but do yourself a favor and take an MSF course. You won't regret it.

And congrats on the new SG!

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer