Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I took the MSF course in 2004. I had never ridden any kind of bike before that. I borrowed a Virago 250 and rode 70 miles on country roads. It was intimidating.

The next week my friend lent me his 99 Electraglide Standard. We went on a five hundred mile trip on 2 lanes and Interstate. Looking back that was incredibly stupid. I wasn't ready. I had trouble leaning the bike over on the entrance ramp to the Interstate, while being tailgated by a pickup. I had a huge adrenaline rush the first time my friends passed a slow car on the 2 lane. Accelerating from 55 to 80 is great fun now, but it was scary the first day, back in 04.

The next summer, I bought a Vulcan 750. I am glad I put 20k miles on her, before buying my 03 Ultra Classic. Things that I think would have put me down on the big bike, that I was able to handle on the smaller bike:

Gravel.
Tar snakes
Wet road paint (turning arrows, crosswalks, etc..) like oil on a teflon pan. Hit square and slow (under 15 mph) when turning in the rain.
Stay out of the middle of the lane. Oil and transmission fluid accumulates there.
Don't stomp on rear brake in panic stops. Ease it on while maxing front brake. Otherwise you will lock up rear and slide rear sideways.

I learned a lot from following my more experienced friends. But ride your own ride. Don't try to keep up when you are above your comfort level. Meet em down the road if necessary. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

You'll be fine. I outgrew a few smaller bikes before I got my 09 EG Classic, and now a 103 Limited Ultra. I'm 56. Been riding only 6 years. Just keep it upright & level on slow turns. You get to a certain point of leaning & if it starts to go over, all you can do is "get out of the way!"

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM
mikedanben
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your smart. I bought a softail and a year later I want a street glide and it will be a pain in the wallet and neck to do a switcheroo. Once you are above 10 miles per hour, it will drive itself. Below that, the course will help you.
congrars and good luck.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take your time, get the 'Ride Like a Pro' DVD set and practice what's taught there. You'll be ok. Yes, it's a big first-timers bike, but they're actually fairly nimble for their size. Don't let the size intimidate you. They're very manageable with the right knowledge and practice. Have fun!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new bike! Have it delivered if you can and finish your course before venturing out. Take it easy you'll be ok!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:54 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Haha funny you say that. I have my friend coming to drive it home to my garage for me. I've committed to not driving it until I have completed the safety course which is going to be very hard. I live in a rural area that I can ride without much traffic until I get a good feel for it. I am taking my nervousness as a good thing as it will keep me on my toes from a safety standpoint. It seems a lot of people who have never ridden a bike have a lot of opinions. Thats why I wanted to post here to get actual experienced people to give advice.
Glad you aren't riding until the MSF course. I am amazed at all the people I hear about who get a bike and attemp to teach themselves (or have spouse or friend try to teach them) to ride before they take the course that is supposed to teach them how to ride; even when they have already been scheduled to take the course.

I can tell you that no one looks stupider in class than those that profess to already riding a bike, but can't do the exercises in class. I've taken the class twice (1995 and 2008) and I haven't seen a complete newbie fail or have a truly horrible experience, but I've seen "riders" fail and fail badly - talk about a blow to the ego!

Sounds like you have the background to have confidence in yourself after the class teaches you the basics, so I think that the SG will be just fine for you.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Haha funny you say that. I have my friend coming to drive it home to my garage for me. I've committed to not driving it until I have completed the safety course which is going to be very hard. I live in a rural area that I can ride without much traffic until I get a good feel for it. I am taking my nervousness as a good thing as it will keep me on my toes from a safety standpoint. It seems a lot of people who have never ridden a bike have a lot of opinions. Thats why I wanted to post here to get actual experienced people to give advice.
I had never ridden a bike in my life when I bought an Ultra. Never been one for doing things the right way. Odd as it may sound my wife drove it home from the dealer (she has ridden her own since she was 15) and took me to a parking lot the next day. I began riding it around my residential neighborhood only during the day when everyone else was at work for about a month. It was then I decided to go take an MSF course, which I did. That course sped the learning curve up immensely! I still continued riding in my neighborhood though realizing that until I was able to start, stop, turn, change gears, etc without having to think about it, I was not ready to be anywhere near traffic.

When I did venture out of the neighborhood it was to incrementally larger roads as I felt comfortable. Just take it slow and do not put yourself in any situations that above your skill level. It can be done safely and without putting a scratch on the bike!

Good luck!!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
Take the course is a great first step. You bought the bike you like so that is a second great step. Next, relax, ride in quiet areas to get the feel and perhaps with an experienced rider as support. Take your time, be safe and you will be fine. Your choice of bike is excellent. Congratulations.
+1 Couldn't agree more. You'll be fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think a full size touring bike is a good choice for a first-timer rider with no experience. I would suggest you park the big one and borrow a smaller light weight bike to at least get through the MFS course.

Having said all of that, if you have a good sense of balance you may get through it ok without to many scraps and dings in your new scoot.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.My opinion is you will be fine,but having said that,I have a suggestion for you.Get yourself a set of the roll bars for the front of your saddle bags.If you do happen to drop or lay the bike down it will save you from damaging your bags.As stated previously in this post,slow speed is when it will happen.

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer