Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm feeling A LOT better after reading everyone's responses. When I sat on the bike it didn't feel too big really, actually smaller than I was expecting so I think I will be ok size wise. I only 5'10" 200lbs but can flat foot ok. Sounds like I really need to pay attention at low speed and stay off the front brake when slow. Hadn't heard that before so great advice! Thanks everyone. I hope to be around here for a long time and maybe even contribute something some day. Until then, I will be lurking around. I have spent weeks on here reading threads and the search function has answered a lot of questions. Thank again!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the Street Glide.

Here's my two cents.

Good choice to wait for your MSF course. I would also recommend this, as well. See if they also offer a IRC (Intermediate Rider Course). The IRC is a one day repeat of most of the BRC (Basic Riders Course), but with your own bike. It will help to reinforce the skills you learn in the BRC, but give you a chance to replicate them on your own motorcycle in the same controlled environment and with coaching.

You'll be fine. Enjoy.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Hi Guys. Well I have always wanted a Harley so I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Taking delivery of a Street Glide on Monday. I have never ridden a bike before and now I'm a little nervous maybe the bike is too big for me based on what a few people have said to me. I have experience with high performance snowmobiles and atv's so I'm reasonably proficient with stuff like that. My original thought was to buy the bike I want and not have to spend the money a year from now anyways after taking a bath on the bike I didn't. Can't go back now, paid in full, so any tips on handling a Street Glide vs a smaller metric bike or sportster etc?

p.s. I am taking the MSF bike course on May 11th weekend.
I did the exact same thing. My first bike ever, in fact, first bike I put my leg over, was my '05 Ultra. I had a friend ride it home, took the MSF, eased around the neighborhood, and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm on my second bike and use it to commute. When I started riding, I was as nervous as a gerbil at a gay rights convention. Best advice for you: Stay nervous. It keeps you alive.

Bill

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

Congrats on the new ride!!! Some really good advice on here: When the bike is in your garage before you start riding it, DON'T think that you can wipe off the dust of whatever. If you want to wash it etc, no problem but don't dry rub the paint.
Another one I like is to keep off the front brake just as you're coming to a stop. If you have the bars turned (not even that much!!) and you hit the front break, you will soon know what 900 pounds feels like. (don't ask how I know this)

Enjoy.............Oh, I see you're from Ontario........stay out of Mississauga until you've had the course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
stevevfd
Tourer

Ok I'm feeling A LOT better after reading everyone's responses. When I sat on the bike it didn't feel too big really, actually smaller than I was expecting so I think I will be ok size wise. I only 5'10" 200lbs but can flat foot ok. Sounds like I really need to pay attention at low speed and stay off the front brake when slow. Hadn't heard that before so great advice! Thanks everyone. I hope to be around here for a long time and maybe even contribute something some day. Until then, I will be lurking around. I have spent weeks on here reading threads and the search function has answered a lot of questions. Thank again!
It's actually the same for any motorcycle. They teach you not to touch the front brakes at low speed in a motorcycle course. I went from a Sportster, to Softail Deuce, to my Street Glide. It's something with the way the Touring bikes handle and their weight that make it even more important and susceptible to a low speed tipover. I'm not trying to make you nervous, but a quality riding class is the best thing you can buy and just a few day investment of your time. I rode my Sportster on back roads prior to taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. After a weekend class, I was 1000% times more comfortable and confident... plus Progressive gives a 10% discount every year for having taken the class. After a few years, it pays for itself.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

. I have experience with ............ atv's so I'm reasonably proficient with stuff like that.
If that is with sport quads, that can go a long way. All handle bar and foot controls/shifting are exactly the same

Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Markymannn
If that is with sport quads, that can go a long way. All handle bar and foot controls/shifting are exactly the same
No CVT tranny quads. Can-Am 800R.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Ghostman574
Advanced

You'll be fine...The SG is very nimble even a slow speed. Take things slow, get used to the "grey area" with your clutch and throttle, and practice rear brake control. Don't let what other say get in your head.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haha funny you say that. I have my friend coming to drive it home to my garage for me. I've committed to not driving it until I have completed the safety course which is going to be very hard. I live in a rural area that I can ride without much traffic until I get a good feel for it. I am taking my nervousness as a good thing as it will keep me on my toes from a safety standpoint. It seems a lot of people who have never ridden a bike have a lot of opinions. Thats why I wanted to post here to get actual experienced people to give advice.
Nice. Good for you man...that is one fine ride and I hope you enjoy for years to come....

Last edited by botz723; 04-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

After you take the course , buy the dvd Ride Like a Pro, it teaches a lot of good stuff, and helps with things that they don't teach in the MSF course.
Take your bike to a big parking lot, and get to know your bike.
I would suggest getting some heater hose or something like it, and put it on the engine guards, it will save you from scraping them up if you drop it.

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer