Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new SG! great choice they area really top Motorcycle.
Be careful.
Have fun.
I broke my nose and got two black eyes using the front brake to stop my wifes sportster with twin disc Brembo brakes in the car park and it spat me so quickly into the pavement I couldn't believe it, even after more than 20 years riding experience.
So only use the front brakes in a straight line and not at slow speed.
Even experience has a cost!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started on a 2003 sportster because i thought that is a likely path for for a starter or beginner. I had never ridden before.

Fast forward to now I own a 2007 Road King Custom.

I can honestly say my RK is a much easier bike to ride. IMO.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Grab your crotch, put a plug of chew into your mouth, jump on and get ready to commence one of the most enjoyable acts on earth. A little bit of fear is a good thing, so don't sweat it, just do it.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Nice choice! Enjoy and ride safe. Take the course and take your time. Good times ahead.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 PM
BandT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Hi Guys. Well I have always wanted a Harley so I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Taking delivery of a Street Glide on Monday. I have never ridden a bike before and now I'm a little nervous maybe the bike is too big for me based on what a few people have said to me. I have experience with high performance snowmobiles and atv's so I'm reasonably proficient with stuff like that. My original thought was to buy the bike I want and not have to spend the money a year from now anyways after taking a bath on the bike I didn't. Can't go back now, paid in full, so any tips on handling a Street Glide vs a smaller metric bike or sportster etc?

p.s. I am taking the MSF bike course on May 11th weekend.

If i could give any advice it would be to take your time. I usually stay 5 miles per hour under the speed limit or right at it. I think youll realize after a little while that going just under the speed limit will give you the time to react to almost anything. Go slow, learn her sweet spots and don't press your luck. as long as you know your limitations (and you will figure them out in the first 100 or so miles) youll be ok. I cant say enough about the class..... its the one thing that is going to give you confidence and insight into what that bike can really do, and youd be surprised. Oh yeah, get an engine guard and highway pegs.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
tazman509
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Lowcountry Joe;9685791]The ride home from the dealership on a new bike, Harley or whatever, is a very dangerous ride even for experienced riders. New bikes have new feels. I suggest you either get an experienced friend to ride it to your garage and park it or trailer it home and park it. Don't ride it until you have taken the beginners Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They will provide a small 250cc bike, and if you drop it learning to ride, no big deal. The HD course is not what you want to take right off the bat.QUOTE]

I agree with Lowcountry Joe. I have been riding for many years and on my 3rd Harley Davidson. I almost dropped my 2013 SG in the parking lot of the dealership because I was trying to maneuver it like I used to do my Dyna Fatbob. There is a big difference between the two bikes as I quickly learned. I also had to get used to the floor boards as I was used to forward controls and pegs. The SG is an awesome ride once you learn the ins and outs of handling, especially at slow speeds. Great choice of bikes, in my opinion. Like they always say, "Go big or go home".

Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 AM
mac0478
Road Captain

My first ride was a 2002 K2 Hayabusa. This was probably more bike than what I should have bought. However due to the nice lineal power delivery it was very manageable and I ended up owning it for a few years without issue. I now ride a Road King and find it veru user friendly. I think the moral of the story is to ride within the limits of your ability. It is you who determines the situations that you will put yourself in. As long as your copnfidence does not overtake your ability you should have no issue. There is always the parking lots for practicing the slow speed handling of the bike.

Good luck and welcome to the family.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations for the new ride,you'll love it.I wasn't new to motorcycle riding when I bought my Ultra but never owned such a big/heavy intimidating bike but, nonetheless ,I managed to learn how to handle it and now I can honestly say that I feel safe riding with my wife in the back and in pouring rain!The RideLikeAPro course that I took also helped me a lot and I use their book and videos to review the techniques from time to time.Enjoy your bike and ride safe.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM
cjw
Novice

Don't ride any faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 AM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Hi Guys. Well I have always wanted a Harley so I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Taking delivery of a Street Glide on Monday. I have never ridden a bike before and now I'm a little nervous maybe the bike is too big for me based on what a few people have said to me. I have experience with high performance snowmobiles and atv's so I'm reasonably proficient with stuff like that. My original thought was to buy the bike I want and not have to spend the money a year from now anyways after taking a bath on the bike I didn't. Can't go back now, paid in full, so any tips on handling a Street Glide vs a smaller metric bike or sportster etc?

p.s. I am taking the MSF bike course on May 11th weekend.
This belongs in the pussification thread

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer