Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous 1st Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I'm glad it turned out good for you.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
I started this thread almost 2 months ago, funny to see it revived. I have taken the msf course, ride like a pro dvd's, and have over 1000 miles on the bike so far. Everything seems to be coming together and I am quite comfortable. I am VERY glad I went to the bike I wanted first and didn't get a small machine. I'm already wanted more power and put a stage 1 on it.

Thanks for everyone's advice in the beginning, it was a HUGE help and I really appreciated it!
Congratulations on your first 1000 miles. Take it slow, don't get too overconfident. There is a lot to learn about riding from experience.
Ride safe!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
shadowrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started off in the sand dunes on atv's and then dirt bikes, and finally made it to the
pavement and I bought an RKC for my first street bike, took the course and still read books
on how to ride.
If you ride a bicycle or snow ski, etc... then you know you will go where ever your eyes look,
and in the class they drill this into you over and over, never forget this.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering what pinko commie Harley dealer is open on a Monday?!?! LOL

Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear you're enjoying your SG. Practice does makes perfect. Ride safe.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 AM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Originally Posted by stevevfd
Congrats on the new bike. The Street Glide is big and unforgiving at low speeds. Keep your hands off the front brake at slow speeds or at a stop with the forks turned. Doing this will almost pull it to the ground. Slow speed handling is really the big difference between a Sportster or a Metric. Once you master that, and you're rolling, the Street Glide is just a more badass bike then the rest of them.

Good advise. I will add , if the SG doesn't have engine and saddle bag guards get them!
The potential for your bike to wind up on its side is greater than not, The guards will save it from damage in a fall over or a drop.
the price of the bars will pay for themselvs first time it falls over.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
a10182
Road Captain

I agree set a time limit before you take a passenger and stick to it,whether you think your ready or not other than that ENJOY!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
asahi1234
Tourer

I never riden a bike before. Took the MSF course I passed and got my license. Then I went to HD and purchased my 2011 RKC. But I found a parking lot and practiced a lot. I also only rode around the neighbor hood for awhile untile I was comfortable. Don't under estimate your ability. Take your time. People told me I was crazy but I have been riding for 1 1/2 with no troubles.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have seriously never ridden ANY bike before; I would have it delivered to the house and take the Rider course using their small bikes.

This will introduce you to the sequential critical tasks necessary to remain alive on a motorcycle.

Once you have the hang of starting, stopping, turning etc., you can probably begin familiarizing yourself with you SG. That is a big, heavy bike compared to the one they provide for the class, but you will find that it handles quite well.

Congrats!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 PM
In2It
Road Captain

Congrats on the SG take it easy, don't overthink it and don't psych yourself out.Keep you head on a swivel and never trust the cages there the enemy.

Quick Reply: Nervous 1st Timer