Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg oil cooler info ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Jagg oil cooler info ?

Ok, I'm pondering ordering a 10 row Jagg cooler kit. Couple questions tho before I do. I am using a PC racing (K&P type) oil filter. A.) Is the $10 anti rotational device recommended? B.) Is it worth the extra $40 for the oil filter adapter with the t-stat or is that just something that can fail? Also, the local H-D dealer will give 20% off their cooler so I'd be looking at $240 for the H-D and around $290 (non t-stat adapter) for the Jagg thru my local parts guy. Is the Jagg worth the extra $$ ? Thx for any info..

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I chose to go with the Jagg vertical mount 10 row oil cooler with the built in thermostat. Harley does not make oil coolers so depending why the manufacturer is would in my humble opinion, determine the quality of the product. I know, I know Harley wouldn't stand behind a product they don't believe is well made and up to their standards. Jagg has been in the business for a long time and has a good reputation for quality. Our local P.D. uses the vertical mount 10 row Jagg cooler exclusively for all of their harleys so I'm going with the decision they made for protecting their investment. Thats all I got. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions that vary a lot, this is just my opinion on this topic.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the good information. I have also seen the jag on the Washoe County sheriff bikes.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
NC_John
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the JAGG 10-row. I didn't get the anti-rotation part at first but after 1 or 2 oil changes I ended up getting it so I recommend you get it too - the rubber gasket on the filter sticks pretty good to the cooler adapter and spins everything.

I also switched out all the rubber hose lines with aeroquip steel braided ones- I got them made at a hydraulic shop for around $100 I think. I had a heck of a time getting my fittings and hoses to stop leaking/weeping oil but I have a buddy that has the same cooler with hoses and gear clamps and he has NEVER had a problem.

I have the thermostat model. I was concered about if it failed but then realized if it fails open worst case is the engine runs a bit cooler. If it fails closed then its like the engine has no external oil cooler (which you don't have now) so I didn't see any real reasons not to get it. Can't hurt.....

Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice.. thx. Any effective differences between vertical/horizontal mounting coolers? I don't have lowers so I'm open to both types..

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, get the anti rotation device. I have the low mount but I have lowers.
Jagg thinks the thermostat isn't necessary so I didn't get one.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

on my 2011 with the 103 motor it came with the HD Premium oil cooler , I switched it out to the Jagg 10 row and it keeps my oil temp 20*-25* cooler than the HD unit did , you want the anti-rotation device , I don't run a thermostat , Marv the owner of Jagg told me you don't need them on a air cooled motor no matter where you live he just offers them because some people insist on having one

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Troop,
I am in the same boat as you - are you getting the one with the fan or without?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I have the 10 row with thermo and took the anti-rotation 'wedge' off. Why your thinking...the bolts that take the place of the filter relocation are smaller and dont torque as well and caused uneven pressure on the internal seal...you guessed it causing a seep. I also had a seep and weep from the AN fittings and went with the 3130 cooler core with the fan bracket (excluding the fan). Needed the bracket to clear the frame because it has barbs for the hoses and those dont leak unless their cracked. Almost tossed it back in the box and sent it back more than once before i got it to stop weeping precious oil. The rotation device does not seem to be an issue with spinning for me. I use the KN with the turn nut on the outside and the filter comes off without any fuss, with no turning at all. I have a problem with the way vertical mounted coolers look and prob would be riding around without a cooler if it didnt look right if you know what I mean.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jagg coolers are top quality. For 10 bucks why not get the anti-rotation device. I have the low mount with ar device and no thermostat. The vertical mount tends to be more efficient because it gets better air flow. If it gets really cold, I just put a piece of black duct tape over the cooler. Can't even tell it is on there. There are folks who claim a 6 row vertical will cool as good as the 10 row low mount.

Quick Reply: Jagg oil cooler info ?