Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg oil cooler info ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a lot of research before purchasing an oil cooler and I ended up going with the Jagg 6-row with t-stat and anti-rotation device. In my research, I found that the t-stat is a very simple device with a very low failure rate - even though it is said t-stats are not necessary, and that may be true, I just thought it couldn't hurt to get a quicker warm up at cold start on days when it's 40 degrees - didn't see any harm. I also tried to install the anti rotation device but couldn't get it on - I read some can and some can't but I think it's worth $10 to give it a try - less worry about loosening the adapter when changing the filter thus less worry about creating a leak.

One tip about the install if you do it yourself - make sure the hose clamp adjusting screws are facing in a direction that ends up being accessible when install is complete because even though there was no leaking immediately after the install during an idle test, all hose attachments leaked a little after a ride and needed to be tightened - I've ridden about a 1000 miles since and not a drop of oil leaking. Ambient temps haven't been above 65 and usually more around 50 and the oil temp has been about 200-220. The real test for me will be this summer riding through the Mojave desert in July.

Last edited by jacknthebox; 04-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
Troop,
I am in the same boat as you - are you getting the one with the fan or without?
I'd go w/out the fan I'm thinking. On the fence about a t-stat.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Thinking about changing my HD cooler to a Jagg. And going for the fan. Cooler is not cooling much when sitting in traffic with no fan

Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I just got off the phone with Jagg. They recommended the lower 10 row over the vertical 6 row as even in its lower location, they said it'd be more effective cooling the oil. He said the 4 extra rows more than make up for the extra air the vertical mount would get. He also recommended NOT using the thermostat adapter. They offer it for people who just feel the need to have it. That saves $40 and one less thing to go wrong I guess. Now, is the Jagg worth the extra cost over the H-D premium model? I have a card thru a local dealer giving me 20% off. Cost w/tax on the H-D unit is $253. My cost thru a family member on the Jagg 10 row/adapter/anti-rotate device is $285 Thoughts ?

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (08-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I just got off the phone with Jagg. They recommended the lower 10 row over the vertical 6 row as even in its lower location, they said it'd be more effective cooling the oil. He said the 4 extra rows more than make up for the extra air the vertical mount would get. He also recommended NOT using the thermostat adapter. They offer it for people who just feel the need to have it. That saves $40 and one less thing to go wrong I guess. Now, is the Jagg worth the extra cost over the H-D premium model? I have a card thru a local dealer giving me 20% off. Cost w/tax on the H-D unit is $253. My cost thru a family member on the Jagg 10 row/adapter/anti-rotate device is $285 Thoughts ?
read my original comments on this thread , I threw my HD Unit in the trash

Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the 10 row low mount fan assisted model without the built in thermostate oil filter adapter. Quite satisfied with the product but is a bit of a PITA to install mainly because of dealing with the fan and its wiring both to the underside of the adapter but also to the rear brake switch.

I bought mine off of DirectHarleyParts.com and forum sponsor. They had the very best price of anyone plus when you talk to them ask them for the member discount.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the lower 10......first bought for 09 RG...sold bike switched it to a new 2010 Ultra no.weaks......I think anti-rotational mounting is good....thermostat....? what for? .....great product good company

Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JJHOG
I installed the 10 row low mount fan assisted model without the built in thermostate oil filter adapter. Quite satisfied with the product but is a bit of a PITA to install mainly because of dealing with the fan and its wiring both to the underside of the adapter but also to the rear brake switch.

I bought mine off of DirectHarleyParts.com and forum sponsor. They had the very best price of anyone plus when you talk to them ask them for the member discount.
Wow there's a member discount? Awesome, I'm going to be ordering the mount in the next couple weeks. Already have the 10-row horizontal cooler, just need the mount now to complete the package. After reading here I may skip the thermostat version.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
read my original comments on this thread , I threw my HD Unit in the trash
I won't cheap out over $50 Will be putting one on on my next oil change.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been convinced - called DirectHarleyParts.com, ordered my JAGG FP2400. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Jagg oil cooler info ?