Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Occuring Horn Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re-Occuring Horn Failure

2010 StreetGlide with Harley Davidson Premium Air Horn

So frustrated with this! For the 5th time now my air horn has quit working after washing my bike. This is the Premium Air Horn from Harley.

Something is obviously getting wet and breaking the electrical connection.
The horn is just plain DEAD at the handlebar switch. You get nothing when you push the button.

The first time it happened the dealer replaced the horn under warranty. I dont even think they tested the original horn. The second time it happened they said they did not replace the horn. I asked the Service Tech why it was happening and he told me, "Quit washing your bike." Duh???

Its happened a couple times again since then and I take it to the dealer and they do whatever they do and put it under warranty. Well the warranty has expired and now its done it again.

I want to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it once and for all.

The problem is I am not very mechanical and consider it quite an accomplishment each year if the Christmas tree lights up. Electricity is magic to me. So I am asking for some assistance and/or guidance to make this fix.

I know I can start at the horn and follow wiring back to somewhere. When I remove the saddle and see ALL THAT STUFF crammed into area under the saddle I get a bit nervous as to what it all is, and what is what. I dont just want to start removing stuff. It would be helpful if I knew where to begin.
I do have the Service Manual for reference.

Obviously the circuit is being broken either by corrosion at a connection point or perhaps a shorted relay or bad fuse.

I washed the bike several days ago and I am sure everything is dry by now.

Would appreciate any guidance on how to troubleshoot this and fix it once and for all if possible. I refuse to believe the final answer is to not wash my bike.

thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to trace the wires and check all connections. Any time I work on electric on the bike, I always solder and shrink wrap all connections. That makes them water proof. You can also try some dielectric grease. If the horn is running through a relay, and it should be, check those connections too. The are probably under the seat up front. I have had the Mini Beast air horn on my Ultra for almost 5 years and have never had a problem with it. I installed it myself.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for voltage at the connections at the horn with the switch on and horn button pressed. A volt meter with probes set at 12VDC will tell you is it on the "supply" side or is it the horn. If replacing the horn fixed it in the past, sounds like a horn issue. If you decide to repair/replace and stay with this kind of horn, a quick fix may be to wrap the horn as best as you can with cling wrap when you wash it.
Sorry for the hassel, I would be upset too.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Bo Joe
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on my sportster. It turned out to be the switch at the handlebars. I took apart the whole switch and put it all back in. I think it was the wires in the switch housing. There's a set screw in there and I think it was pulling on the wires once it was tighten down. What I did was loosen the set screw and gave the wires a little more slack. Then I tightened the screw back down and all was good.

Before that, mine would work sometimes and then not work other times. I checked everything before the switch...battery, connection at horn, etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,334 Likes on 21,851 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
2010 StreetGlide with Harley Davidson Premium Air Horn

So frustrated with this! This is the Premium Air Horn from Harley.

Must not be so Premium huh? lolol..

Have you tried using dilelectric grease to all of the connectors to the horn. That should do it I would think, especially if it happens when you wash it..

The dieletric grease seals or creates a barrier that water or condensation has difficulty penetrating, thus the connection maintains the circuit and your horn does not cut, or short out any more. It's really a proactive thing and is good for about all electrical connectors, including spark plugs.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by PassRusher75
Check for voltage at the connections at the horn with the switch on and horn button pressed. A volt meter with probes set at 12VDC will tell you is it on the "supply" side or is it the horn. If replacing the horn fixed it in the past, sounds like a horn issue. If you decide to repair/replace and stay with this kind of horn, a quick fix may be to wrap the horn as best as you can with cling wrap when you wash it.
Sorry for the hassel, I would be upset too.
I really dont think its the actual horn itself as it was only replaced the first time and the same horn has failed four times now but made to work again without being replaced. I do want to know how to eliminate the horn from the troubleshooting and this sounds like how to test it.

A volt meter with probes set at 12VDC will tell you is it on the "supply" side or is it the horn.

Where do I place the probes? Set to 12VDC and the needle will do what?

Sorry I am so lame about this.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Must not be so Premium huh? lolol..

Have you tried using dilelectric grease to all of the connectors to the horn. That should do it I would think, especially if it happens when you wash it..

The dieletric grease seals or creates a barrier that water or condensation has difficulty penetrating, thus the connection maintains the circuit and your horn does not cut, or short out any more. It's really a proactive thing and is good for about all electrical connectors, including spark plugs.
I would definately drop the word Premium if left up to me! The only reason I have continued to tolerate this thing is that the dealer kept "repairing" it under warranty! I dont know why it is so sensitive when I have never had this issue with any standard Harley horn.

I am leaning heavily in the direction that it is nothing more than a connection point somewhere that is corroding. The problem is finding it.
I guess the logical (only) thing to do is just trace the horn wiring back into the bike checking along the way. Sounds easy but for me I am guessing probably not. Every time I touch anything below the gas tank on this bike I get a cut on my hand somewhere LOL! I wouldnt last 30 mins in a dealer service dept!

Last edited by hoethree; 04-18-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: s
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The probe tips from the volt meter need to go to the connections at the horn. Red to positive, black to negative. If you can, you could clip the meter leads to the connectors with alligator clips. Then watch the meter as you try to energize the horn, should read 12VDC or close. If no power to the horn, the relay may be suspect.
It's a matter of finding: is it the horn, ar a bad connection?
Based on what you just told me, I would give the relay connections a hard look...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Rijan
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley has been having issues with this horn for years and it seems as thought no one want to correct the issues.My advise is to take it off take a hammer to it melt it down and go with one of the after markets horns. I really like the HD one but the percentage of Pep having issues with it , I am staying away!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,090 Likes on 3,100 Posts

The air horn has it's own fuse. Try replacing it.

Quick Reply: Re-Occuring Horn Failure