Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather pants vs chaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:39 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default leather pants vs chaps

I am a Firefighter - had a M/C accident call the other night.. rider had chaps on - Road Rash on butt from sliding - Never really gave much thought to that being the one spot Not covered in leather by chaps ,,, Anyone here wear the leather pants??? This guy sure wishes he had them on instead of the chaps... or was this guy just having really bad luck - looking for info from those that have Real life experence here on slides/road rash...

Old 12-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default RE: leather pants vs chaps

I wear chaps but have been looking at the FXRG over pants with the armor. I've gone done more than once and have never chewed through my butt, but if I go down I turn into an Armadillo and roll.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:54 AM
watrousmark
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear Draggin jeans, they have a kevlar mat in the butt and knees, made in USA also. Chaps work pretty well with the Buell they alow me to move around during hard cornering. Seems like they don't do much on the Street Glide to stop the wind in the one place I want to keep warm

Old 12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The wife and both used to wear leather pants,until the first day it really turned off hot.After that we always wear chaps,at least we can take them off for a little cooler ride.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Ben U

My wife and I wear chaps when it's cool ... and go down to jeans when it gets warm. I've been down twice, both times wearing jeans with no road rash ... maybe I was just lucky.

Everyone knows there an acceptable risk in our sport, especially you ... nothing on a motorcycle is going to protect us in all situations. Do you want full protection? You'd have to ride around with full armor like those lucky bastids riding around track going almost 200 mph on the straights and dragging their knees through the corners. The question is how much risk are you willing to compromise for comfort?

Ride safe and ride long.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I wear leather pants.....when it is cold enough for it. When it is not cold enough, I wear my leather chaps. The leather pants I have are actually called "Chap pants" because they zip and snap up each leg like chaps do. I can get in and out of them as easy as chaps. Its a temperature thing more than a safety thing. And yes, they do offer considerably more protection than chaps, and yes, they do keep the jewels much warmer on a cold ride.

nogood o~`o

Old 12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Bagger Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry can't comment on the sliding part.

I have both chaps and over pants. If you want maximum warmth, protection anddryness over pants are the way to go. They aren't much of a fashion statement andwon't get you into a gay bar but I think they are the better choice.

Tightleather pantslook great on the right woman.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
FLH
Advanced

From what I have read, pants are the winners for protection. Leather is king here. My belief is you protect the head first (helmet), feet next(boots), legs next (as they are next on the most injured areas) then the jacket. Austin Texas has the craziest cagers in the world - very dangerous here. I wish we could all ride in shorts, no helmet and so on as the freedom is a great feeling. You've got to consider your own environment and traffic circumstances, then figure out in your own mind if feeling the freedom outways feeling the potential pain.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 AM
103FLHX
Road Master

Got both. Wear the pants more. Especially in cold weather.

[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 12-31-2006, 12:21 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

I have both also & there is no doubt the leather pants are the king for protection. I can't wear them all Summer however & I switch to jeans(I can't believe the dorks I see riding in shorts, you only have to fall once to realize what a REALLY bad idea that is)

~John

Quick Reply: leather pants vs chaps