Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Bike won't start after bar install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM
bking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Bike won't start after bar install

Ok, I put on new bars on my 09 Streetglide following advise from many of the threads found here. I extended the throttle cable, ran wires internally, put the bike back together. Bike started fine, but got a few error codes that pointed to the TBW connection. Took the TBW back out of the bars and bypassed the green connector by hard wiring the internal connections. Everything "back together" and no error codes, but bike won't turn over. I've checked all obvious connections. Anyone have ideas of what I can or should check?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have any power at all ? check fuze and recheck all your connections again... am thinking you may have a pinched connection

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
JDG1172
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ignition switch. It may be out of sync. The bottom switch may be in the lock position. Turn your bars all the way to the left to see if they lock. This happens often if you don't have the right tool.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
bking
Advanced

I have power, everything seems to work as expected. Bars lock just fine. I will check all connections and for pinched wires. Would a bad connection, effecting starting, throw a code? It's almost like it's a safety thing, like not starting because kickstand down in first, but I'm trying to start in neutral.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

check your kill switch. I had a short in mine after I installed my bars. Don't know why. If I held in on the button, it fired right up, if I released preasure on the button it shut down. Ended up bypassing the switch till I was able to get another.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 AM
HD101st
Tourer

definatly a wire problem i would get a meter and start ohming wires from the switches to the bottom harness till you find the bad connection. Almost always if your bike doesn't run correctly you can trace it back to the last thing you did.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if you had the clutch side off but I think there is a button on that side that if not replaced properly will not let bike start. Sort of like the rear brake button on the right bar. Just a thought

Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM
bking
Advanced

Since it started before I took the TBW back out and hardwired to get rid of the green connector, I figured I would start there. Maybe I soldered the wrong wires, or wires were damaged?? Nope. All looks as it should:
From yellow sleeve: red to brown, white to blue, black to black
From black sleeve: red to red, white to purple, black to grey

I left the TBW out of bars and connected up to try and start, still no luck. Wonder if I messed up the TBW sensor some how???

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
bking
Advanced

After further research, looks like there are a few different model TBW assemblies out there. I called the dealership, and found that mine is model number 32305-8. Referenced that back to some threads here and found it to be the exact opposite of what I did, this appears to be how I should have wired:

Black sleeve
Red - brown-pin 6
White - blue- pin 5
Black - black- pin 4

Yellow sleeve
Red - red- pin 3
White - purple- pin 2
Black - gray- pin 1

Glad I had a home office day today! Been banging my head against a wall. Going to go out at lunch to confirm.

Last edited by bking; 04-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
bking
Advanced

Confirmed, that was the issue, had the wrong wiring diagram for my TBW part number. For as much research as I did going into this project, I guess I didn't do enough.....

Quick Reply: Help, Bike won't start after bar install