Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The first couple times I saw the modulator light thing, I thought, 'look at this idiot with the broken headlight ready to fall out', but now that I know what they are, I think, 'look at this idiot pissing everyone off'.
I do not believe they are all they claim be be in the safety world. There are better ways to been seen, stuff like that brings the opinion of bikers down a peg, and I could just see a cager doing a quick swerve over the center line to return the favor.

Do us all a favor - Look up something like Moto Lights if you want to be seen better.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-11-2016)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thehueg
Carry a copy of the Federal Motor Transport regulation which indicates these "wig wag" style lights are legal on motorcycles. I've been pulled over and told by a state trooper these are illegal until I pulled out the regs.
Be careful with this one. Some states have laws which, if your bike is registered and tagged in that state, maybe more restrictive than Federal law. The Federal Motor Vehicle code is the minimum required to be a legal M/V. A state can make a more comprehensive rule if it wishes, i.e., CA ARB vs. US EPA. Now, if the item is legal in your home state, where your bike is registered, and you're just visiting a different locale, you shouldn't be hassled, but you might be anyway under the "just because" clause.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I figure to each his own and if someone wants one of those modulators then so be it.......Personally I dont like em nor do I chose to run one.

Bit as I said..........To each their own.

And that plus about $2 will buy you a cup of coffee.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought about it but added more lights instead.

Added passing lights.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
The first couple times I saw the modulator light thing, I thought, 'look at this idiot with the broken headlight ready to fall out', but now that I know what they are, I think, 'look at this idiot pissing everyone off'.
I do not believe they are all they claim be be in the safety world. There are better ways to been seen, stuff like that brings the opinion of bikers down a peg, and I could just see a cager doing a quick swerve over the center line to return the favor.

Do us all a favor - Look up something like Moto Lights if you want to be seen better.
I just came back from a 3700 mile trip through Idaho, Montana, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. I didn't see a single modulating headlight on the thousands of bikes I saw on the road. On Lolo pass alone I saw at least 500 bikes go by and not one of them had a modulating headlight.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Be careful with this one. Some states have laws which, if your bike is registered and tagged in that state, maybe more restrictive than Federal law. The Federal Motor Vehicle code is the minimum required to be a legal M/V. A state can make a more comprehensive rule if it wishes, i.e., CA ARB vs. US EPA. Now, if the item is legal in your home state, where your bike is registered, and you're just visiting a different locale, you shouldn't be hassled, but you might be anyway under the "just because" clause.
This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108 (see copy below). Here is a web page with all of Part 571 and all of the subsections; they've now broken it up by section to make it easier to read. The Legal Information Institute at Cornell University also has a nice website where you can read the various sections of the entire Title 49 USC.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...lator-regs.htm

Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
jayc2640
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a modulating headlight, but I'm considering getting one. Something that no one has mentioned during this debate is that the human eye is attracted by motion. Extra lights may help, but nothing attracts the eye like the "motion" created by the modulation of the headlight.

If it weren't effective, you wouldn't have people getting pissed off and pulling over. They wouldn't have noticed it in the first place.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,715 Likes on 1,372 Posts

They are obnoxious and are legal due to the efforts of a few who lobbied to get them Federally approved thinking they would become mandatory. They were allowed before even Halogen headlights were common, long before LEDs. They were a band-aid then for an incandescent bulb headlight. How far we have come since then, yet how some hang on to old ideas.

There are no statistics which show they are effective approaching other vehicles. They are useful for getting cars to pull over when you are following them. In some areas, they have been interpreted as a signal that it is alright to pull out ahead of you.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so do what you must. We have ridden this summer in every state West of the continental divide. In one month of travel we never saw a modulated headlight, though we saw plenty of flash and stop tail lights. I believe the benefits of a modulated headlight are slim to none and would not allow one to be installed on my motorcycle, but the argument can be made for: 1) New riders, 2) Certain urban, commute style stop and go traffic situations but I would prefer flashing hazard lights, 3) Yuppie's who need to show that they are the most techy of the high tech, 4) Riders who scare themselves, 5) Loners, who don't care to ride with others, and 6) former and current bicycle commuters who got tied of pedaling. Now I know this will get some of your shorts all in a bunch, but this is my experience. I even once considered them until I did research into the negatives as well as the promised positives. Then I rode with two different people that had them. That convinced me they were not a safety feature. It offered me and my riding no increased safety. But I do understand that a modulating headlight may offer you comfort. I admit freely that you are different from me and actually, I'm happy about that.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,826 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Aw...never mind

Last edited by Goose_NC; 08-11-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,826 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
They are obnoxious and are legal due to the efforts of a few who lobbied to get them Federally approved thinking they would become mandatory. They were allowed before even Halogen headlights were common, long before LEDs. They were a band-aid then for an incandescent bulb headlight. How far we have come since then, yet how some hang on to old ideas.

There are no statistics which show they are effective approaching other vehicles. They are useful for getting cars to pull over when you are following them. In some areas, they have been interpreted as a signal that it is alright to pull out ahead of you.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so do what you must. We have ridden this summer in every state West of the continental divide. In one month of travel we never saw a modulated headlight, though we saw plenty of flash and stop tail lights. I believe the benefits of a modulated headlight are slim to none and would not allow one to be installed on my motorcycle, but the argument can be made for: 1) New riders, 2) Certain urban, commute style stop and go traffic situations but I would prefer flashing hazard lights, 3) Yuppie's who need to show that they are the most techy of the high tech, 4) Riders who scare themselves, 5) Loners, who don't care to ride with others, and 6) former and current bicycle commuters who got tied of pedaling. Now I know this will get some of your shorts all in a bunch, but this is my experience. I even once considered them until I did research into the negatives as well as the promised positives. Then I rode with two different people that had them. That convinced me they were not a safety feature. It offered me and my riding no increased safety. But I do understand that a modulating headlight may offer you comfort. I admit freely that you are different from me and actually, I'm happy about that.
MSF started the daytime headlights back before halogens as well. Yet people insist on running high beams today.

Quick Reply: Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?