Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 AM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Damm, I couldn't have said it better myself!

Originally Posted by BIGVTWIN
If it offends some one that I am watching out for my safety then I don't need you around anyway.
I ride for my safety first then that of the others around me PERIOD,
I have been left for dead after a car did not see me. Hit so hard cracked my head wide open thru a helmet. She left the scene hauling *** after turning left in front of me with no signal on. I was watching her but she just yanked left 15 foot from me. Luckily my buddy was there to save my *** and get me to a hospital.
Months later while talking in her room on the phone her mom heard her tell her friend that she never saw me and that she never told her mom. She told her parents that some kid at a party ran over her car and left. Mom took her to the scene wrote down address ,and went to the police station and three days later I was told they found her. Ya right after the cop wrote down that I just lost control.
Well her story was my story . She said she was sorry and her insurance paid for everything. And of course there was the apology from the officer for not believing me.
And yes my buddy hit the car too just barely, frt fender damage only.
So if a blinky light might save my life and that offends you then tough, so be it.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's to hoping that someday in the future our riding brothers don't have to worry so much about these problems. I'm looking forward to technology that slams on the brakes of a vehicle that starts to turn in front of one of us. It will happen. There will be proximity sensors that will warn about someone being on a collision course etc. I know it's Flash Gordon stuff, but it's coming.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 173 Likes on 127 Posts

I had one and it definitely got attention. I am not using one now because people was pulling to the shoulder and slowing down to allow me to go past them. I felt that it may actually cause and accident because of this.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme
I believe that makes your modulator illegal. There is only one speed allow by law, and I believe it's 4 times a second.
Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Also,
Ultra89Rider you are correct. It does not turn off the light, but reduces its intensity.
The Signal Dynamics modulation is legal. His "two modes of flicker" means you can choose high beam modulation or low beam modulation.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Big ALbert
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my on bike with LED Harley headlight for over two years used it all the time.
No problems.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,715 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I treat a bike with a headlight modulator as a novice or unskilled rider. Unless he is wearing a neon yellow green safety vest and riding a BMW, then it is just part of the yupee costume.

I am not against them, just against having one on my bike or riding with someone who does not keep it off when riding with us. I do not believe they are the "safety" feature they are sold as, especially as they seem to lead to more cars pulling out in front of you. I do recognize that when you are following someone, it pisses them off.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,770 Likes on 22,735 Posts

Kisan Pathblazer for me on the front.
BAL on the rear.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one installed on my bike. The product works if used properly. Some run it all the time which is annoying to a lot of folks. I use mine when when passing, at intersections or anytime I feel I may not been seen. Leaving it on while behind other vehicles is not correct rather only when needed. I does make a difference.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
The Signal Dynamics modulation is legal. His "two modes of flicker" means you can choose high beam modulation or low beam modulation.
I'm not on my bike today, so I don't have my copy of the DOT code regarding this in front of me right now but I'm sure there is a spec for modulation frequency. What the exact numbers are I can't say right now. I am also pretty sure it specifies that only the high beam is to be modulated. If I remember I'll dig my copy out of my saddlebag and check tonight.

Edit: I got motivated and checked online. Either beam can be modulated as long as only one of them is modulating. Frequency spec is 240 plus or minus 40 cycles per second.

Last edited by eathomps; 08-07-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: got motivated
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,770 Likes on 22,735 Posts

I run mine all the time, unless riding in a group.
I see LEO's frequently and they NEVER give me a even second look.

I recommend them.

Better to slightly annoying and seen than be politically correct and dead.

Quick Reply: Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?