Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pic of switch on chrome controls

Here's a pic of the modulator switch installed on my CVO bike with chrome switch cover. You can see the light sensor on top of the modulator switch.

Attached Thumbnails Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?-photo-may-26-2-12-36-am.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is mine working correctly?

I have a question for those that have one. I just had the Harley Davidson version installed when my bike was in for its' 5,000 mile service. I have a Road Glide and have it installed on the left light. When I turn it on, it dims that light compared to the right light and "blinks" at what seems to be a lower speed than I expected. Also, I thought I read in the description that it was supposed to "modulate" the light output not just "blink". Hence the name? Mine just stays the exact same light intensity. No variation at all. As soon as I turn it off, the light goes back to matching the other light intensity, which is a lot brighter.

Does my CVO bike have a different type of bulb than the other bikes? Maybe that's keeping it from working properly? Or do all of the Harley versions work like mine?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
I have a question for those that have one. I just had the Harley Davidson version installed when my bike was in for its' 5,000 mile service. I have a Road Glide and have it installed on the left light. When I turn it on, it dims that light compared to the right light and "blinks" at what seems to be a lower speed than I expected. Also, I thought I read in the description that it was supposed to "modulate" the light output not just "blink". Hence the name? Mine just stays the exact same light intensity. No variation at all. As soon as I turn it off, the light goes back to matching the other light intensity, which is a lot brighter.

Does my CVO bike have a different type of bulb than the other bikes? Maybe that's keeping it from working properly? Or do all of the Harley versions work like mine?
If you read the regulations about the Headlight Modulators, they don't turn the light on/off.
They vary the light intensity between 17% to 70%.
And according to the Harley instructions, when used on the Road Glide, it is installed on one light only.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-26-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM
ebigfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
ebigfish - The light sensor is a small dot built into the top of the switch. So you only need to mount the switch.

thanks, Pawnbroker!

It makes sense to me now...

-fish

Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM
03psd
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hate them but do get a chuckle out of guys who run them to "be seen" while riding a demin black bike, black clothing, black helmet, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 AM
hardskull
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I installed the headlight modulator from Signal Dynamics, Plug and Play. They offer multiple plug configuration. Operation is simple control by using the high/low headlight switch. two modes of flicker, and off. good for riding in rally/parades and such. Night sensor included. the web site offers the DOT / Fed regulation to print and carry with you. I am sold on the split second reaction "pause" I get from cagers wanting to pull in front of me. Hope this helps. I have lost friends from front and rear collisions both. I also have the Bright *** Light brake light, HOLY CrAP! this thing is so bright! Easy to control with the included magnet.
Ride Safe!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just upgraded to the hd led lamp def gonna get the kriss modulator

thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hardskull
I installed the headlight modulator from Signal Dynamics, Plug and Play. They offer multiple plug configuration. Operation is simple control by using the high/low headlight switch. two modes of flicker, and off. good for riding in rally/parades and such. Night sensor included. the web site offers the DOT / Fed regulation to print and carry with you. I am sold on the split second reaction "pause" I get from cagers wanting to pull in front of me. Hope this helps. I have lost friends from front and rear collisions both. I also have the Bright *** Light brake light, HOLY CrAP! this thing is so bright! Easy to control with the included magnet.
Ride Safe!
I believe that makes your modulator illegal. There is only one speed allow by law, and I believe it's 4 times a second.
Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Also,
Ultra89Rider you are correct. It does not turn off the light, but reduces its intensity.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Romingnometx
Does anyone make one of these for LED headlights?
Yes. Kriss

Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

I've heard the "irritate other drivers" argument, as well as "people will think you're a cop and pull over." I've never sensed any irritation (except one, see below) and have had three elderly folks pull over in eight years of running these. Other than those three I haven't sensed any confusion that I've caused either. In that period of time I've ridden through a few dozen states and never had a cop hassle me, but I do carry the DOT regulations on board just in case.

Long ago on a trip I had one rider in the group state that modulators "hypnotized him" () and asked nicely if I would ride ahead or use the low-beams. No problem, as I normally use low-beams in groups anyway just as a habit. I've ridden with others who have modulators and don't notice them at all, as they aren't visible to me unless I'm focusing on them in the rear-view mirror, and that won't happen while riding. For me the pulsing is barely visible unless you are a distance down the road.
Ditto...that's precisely my experience in 5 years...not a single incident of irritation...nor of confusion. LOT's of incidents of cagers starting to pull out/turn as I approach then stopping abruptly. Wife's bike is always behind me with modulator on...as you said...not even noticable unless you focus in the mirror.
Another post mentioned that modulators "give you a false sense of security entering intersections". Not true for us. It's not a "force-field". Still approach situations defensively.

Quick Reply: Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?