Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Majic31
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
Dont ride with them in Ontario. No modulation allowed, anytime, anywhere.

1HarleyGuy1
OK... that's news to me....

Don't know what source you're quoting for that info about it being illegal in Ontario.
I ride with a buddy who has one on his bike, and he's never been stopped, not while I've been with him (for thousands of kms)... nor that he'll admit to while riding solo....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...tm#_Toc%20S7.9
(Transport Canada Regulations allowing modulated headlight on bikes)

And since this is a Federal law (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), it allows the use of headlight modulators in ALL provinces and Territories in Canada, providing they meet the standards set out.
And to the best of my knowledge, it's also legal in all 50 States, so there's no fear of getting into any problems on a little road trip anywhere in Canada or the States, because of a headlight modulator on your Harley.

This is a Great Forum, and I love the info here... but let's not put out something we aren't sure about (unless you say so)...or it screws up all the people relying on what's posted here..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pelonz
Kisan does have one for LED's ..... https://www.kisantech.com/popup/mult...duct=P115W-LED
your correct.. but i emailed Kisan - the P115W-LED is only compatible for the Trucklite Phase 6 and not the 7... The 7 has a internal power supply and its turn on speed is to slow to modulate the LED's i am told.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had one ( not the Harley one) for the last three years. Would not be without it. Anything you can do to get noticed in traffic is a good thing. Mine is off most of the time but in heavy traffic where I feel it necessary, I turn mine on and it works. People notice you...no question. It's not a cure all and you must still be aware but, like I said, you do get noticed and that's the whole point.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Majic31

Don't know what source you're quoting for that info about it being illegal in Ontario.
I ride with a buddy who has one on his bike, and he's never been stopped, not while I've been with him (for thousands of kms)... nor that he'll admit to while riding solo....

And since this is a Federal law (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), it allows the use of headlight modulators in ALL provinces and Territories in Canada, providing they meet the standards set out.
And to the best of my knowledge, it's also legal in all 50 States, so there's no fear of getting into any problems on a little road trip anywhere in Canada or the States, because of a headlight modulator on your Harley.

This is a Great Forum, and I love the info here... but let's not put out something we aren't sure about (unless you say so)...or it screws up all the people relying on what's posted here..
Great post! Too many put up things that are not true and others rely on that information. I see it here a lot and it bothers me some would just post something they know zero about. Thanks for calling out the misinformation.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
capttxrngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been looking at a strobe like the police bikes have. There is a mount for right under the headlight and you can get a white strobe. I am thinking of hooking it up to a switch that I will mount on top of the right side turn signal box so I can flick it on it I see the need. Also looking at something similiar for 4 ways. I have the Panacea lights and the module gets pretty warm if I leave it on too long. Just waiting to find lowers for my bike before I start buying the parts for that.
Actually posted this before reading all the other posts. My work computer moves too damn slow. After reading the posts I am checking with Kriss to see if they make a unit for my Kuryakyn LED light. Learning more every day. Who says you can't teach an old dog?

Last edited by capttxrngr; 04-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
jbkrab
Tourer

Additional information on headlight modulators and other types of additional front lighting on motorcycles can be found in a paper from NHTSA located at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Research/Human+...le+conspicuity click on the November 2011 paper DOT HS 811 507. Technically what was written is that the more lighting on the front of the motorcycle the better chance other drivers of on coming traffic may see you. The Modulating Headlight and lower front lighting offers a increase of attention over a single headlight. This is an interesting paper but written in technical-ese. My take on all of this is that the more lighting (modulating or not) the better off you are. An interesting observation was that some of the test drivers of the cages never saw a majority of the bikes, with or without the additional lighting. So a warning to all, be careful out riding and when making those left turns.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
Dont ride with them in Ontario. No modulation allowed, anytime, anywhere.

1HarleyGuy1
not true.. been there many times.. no issues with OPP.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Majic31

Agree.. no issues also riding from Quebec throughout eastern Canada... thanks for the great reply... ride safe.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Is pink the only color they come in? If I ever drop my fairing I wouldn't want people to see my pink undies.
Originally Posted by Stiggy
I think that they irritate the general populace.

Just more of the "Damn motorcycles!" reaction on the part of cagers that won't understand how you could be so inconsiderate.

Plus I believe that they lead to a false sense of security when approaching intersections.

A strobe light on top of your helmet accomplishes the same thing, so I guess it's just a matter of degree?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Make fun all U want,

I swear by mine. I have the one from Kriss, that you can turn on and off with the high-beam switch. I have the sensor mounted down by the brake caliper and have notice cagers start to pull out then the car takes a nose drive as if all of a sudden "a motorcycle appeared out of nowhere". Since it is so easy to turn off, if I am out on a country road I have it on and when a car gets near me, and I am thinking he's had a good opportunity to see me, I flick the switch it off. I have had cagers wave at me when they go by, and my thinking is they are saying thanks for turning it off. I guess it doesn't help much that I am running a Piaa 80watt/80 watt headlight bulb.
I have never been confident of the other drivers, but I am confident of my ability to handle my machine and the steps I have taken TO BE SEEN. That's the name of the game in my book.

Quick Reply: Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?