Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one and it does get you more attention. Even if it does make some of them mad at least they want to look at you and see what all the flashing is about. It gets you noticed, which is the purpose.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by exWinger
I know that people see the light and if I irritate a few people so be it....I've stopped counting the number of people that have irritated me while talking on their phones, putting on makeup, texting etc...
I've heard the "irritate other drivers" argument, as well as "people will think you're a cop and pull over." I've never sensed any irritation (except one, see below) and have had three elderly folks pull over in eight years of running these. Other than those three I haven't sensed any confusion that I've caused either. In that period of time I've ridden through a few dozen states and never had a cop hassle me, but I do carry the DOT regulations on board just in case.

Long ago on a trip I had one rider in the group state that modulators "hypnotized him" () and asked nicely if I would ride ahead or use the low-beams. No problem, as I normally use low-beams in groups anyway just as a habit. I've ridden with others who have modulators and don't notice them at all, as they aren't visible to me unless I'm focusing on them in the rear-view mirror, and that won't happen while riding. For me the pulsing is barely visible unless you are a distance down the road.

Last edited by iclick; 04-18-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
They have an on/off switch, or did you add your own?
No switch needed. High beam during daylight it modulates, low beam shuts off the modulation.

Originally Posted by iclick
I've heard the "irritate other drivers" argument, as well as "people will think you're a cop and pull over." I've never sensed any irritation and have had three elderly folks pull over in eight years of running these. In that period of time I've ridden through a few dozen states and never had a cop hassle me either, but I do carry the DOT regulations on board just in case.
I have never sensed any irritation from cagers either, but if I forget to turn it off, some guys I ride with hate it, say it irritates them, so I am assuming it must also irritate some cagers.

I can't count the # of people that have either slowed down when they see me in their rear view, or pulled over when I have come up behind them.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I have never sensed any irritation from cagers either, but if I forget to turn it off, some guys I ride with hate it, say it irritates them, so I am assuming it must also irritate some cagers.

I can't count the # of people that have either slowed down when they see me in their rear view, or pulled over when I have come up behind them.
I edited my reply above after recalling the guy who said modulators hypnotized him. I also have people slow down occasionally, but I can't say for sure that's caused by the modulator, and it's never been a problem or impediment. I still think that the safety margin they offer greatly outweighs any small negative attributes I've noticed.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the answers, waiting to see if it is legal to use here in Norway!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Kriss modulator on my '08 FLHRC a month after I bought it new on 10/07, ran it for 23,000 mi over 3 yr 5 mo with no problems whatsoever.

Traded the Road King Classic in on an '11 FLHTK and immediately got a Kriss modulator for this bike as well. Upgraded to the HD LED headlight and riding lights in September and got the Kriss LED headlight modulator, too. Been running that setup ever since. Just over 18,000 mi so far, with no problem whatsoever. Standard modulator is now running on my buddies Street Glide.

I highly recommend the Kriss products, and highly encourage the use of a headlight modulator no matter what brand. The headlight modulator plus my BrightAss Light's BAL-1 tail/brake light help keep riding as safe as possible.

Kriss has always been great to work with, too!

for touring bikes: http://www.kriss.com/harleyapplication.htm

for the LED mod: http://www.kriss.com/harleyledmod.php

Be VISIBLE and Vigilant.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Flashing headlights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles. I hate those damn things.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having both a KISAN and the H-D versions of headlight modulators on my bikes, I will say that the H-D one is a more user friendly unit with a separate on/off switch. The KISAN is only on with high beams and makes it hard to use the high beams in the daytime. With the H-D version you still have full headlight control as if it was not installed. Got it for less than the KISAN so it was a win-win for me.

I have been using these modulators for a few years and I think they do help get the cagers to notice you. Like I said, notice you, not that they will not do something stupid in front of you, but you will be seen. I do keep a copy of both the federal regs. and my state regs in my possession, just in case, but never had to use them. In heavy traffic situations around town and on the interstate I use the modulators and I do think it helps but I never use them when riding in a group out of respect for other riders who feel it is distracting.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont ride with them in Ontario. No modulation allowed, anytime, anywhere.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: Harley headlamp modulation kit, anyone?