Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This week's Ultra Classic Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 184 Posts
Default This week's Ultra Classic Mods

Last Thursday I picked up my Quick detach kit for the <'08 Electraglide Classic to do a Detach for the Tourpack on my '08 Ultra Classic. The kit isn't complete of course due to the Ultra Classic having Lights and speakers on the Tour Pack. So I added Desutch Connectors under the seat and added a 1ft Car Antenna Extension to the CB antenna Cable to make that detachable. Then I topped it off with Street Glide seat I scored off a nice fellow on Craig's List. And Yesterday I installed a new 8" Light grey tinted Shield from Freedom Shields. I think I'm going to get tjhe lay down plate kit from Kuryakan to tie me over till I figure out what I'm gonna do with the light bar.

I'm pretty Darned happy with the look with the tour pack off. Kind of a Street Glide in a Tux look. Next thing is to try to lower it if I can score some 12" shocks and figure out which method I want to use to lower the front. Want to go an inch front and back.

Name:  IMAG0332.jpg
Views: 13059
Size:  233.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0333.jpg
Views: 5220
Size:  227.7 KB

Last edited by 3dognate; 04-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks great!

On a different subject: I was noticing the nice green grass. I grew up in the Detroit area and our neighborhoods look just like yours. Out here in the Las Vegas desert landscaping is a load of pink rocks and a cactus... ick

Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
UDAMAN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice look

Just wanted to ask a few questions. I just got a new 2011 Ultra Classic and wanted to do the same thing. I will travel over the road a half a dozen times per year and want the Ultra look and comfort but the rest of the time I would like that SG look and feel. How much of a project is it to remove tour pak with quick release and all the wiring?

UDAMAN

Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
3dognate
Tourer

There's actually a kit for the 2009-2012 Ultra Classic that has pretty much all you need (Except for the CB antenna I think.) Difficulty... Depends on how mechanically inclined you are... It was a little more involved than I expected, but I had to improvise a bit. But I wouldn't call it hard... Maybe a little harder than assembling knock down furniture. I don't think you'll have to do anything more than follow directions. I did mine myself, it would been easier if I had a second set of hands to help install the bracket to the bottom of the tour pack.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

3dognate, props to you for a successful DIY project; especially, on an '08 since HD doesn't offer a kit for bikes older than '09.

To help others, post some p/n's for the Deutsch connectors you used and the vendor.

Carl

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
3dognate, props to you for a successful DIY project; especially, on an '08 since HD doesn't offer a kit for bikes older than '09.

To help others, post some p/n's for the Deutsch connectors you used and the vendor.

Carl
I used the DT Connectors from WireCare.com, you need 2 of the 6 Pin kits.
http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-conn...er=6&Series=DT

And 1 of the 3 pin kits.
http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-conn...er=3&Series=DT

In retrospect I could have probably went with the DTM size 20 instead of the size 16. But the Size 16 fits under the seat fine. (You can save a little $ by buying the individual parts from mouser.com to make the connectors, but really the savings is too small to not use the convience of ordering from wirecare.com)

And I used the BCT-1 crimper from greatplainselectronics.com for assembly.
http://www.greatplainselectronics.co...e=&stype=&scat

Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, but screw the grass. Go into town and eat a few Maid Rites for me. Food is what I miss about up north.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheShrink
Looks good, but screw the grass. Go into town and eat a few Maid Rites for me. Food is what I miss about up north.
Ha! Maid Rite is awesome. They opened a new here in Normal a few years ago and it's gone now. Not a Maid Rite within 1.5 hrs of here that I'm aware of now.

Last edited by 3dognate; 04-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice mod, 2 bikes in 1!!!

For lowering, my experience is that i didn't ride well ( i do not want to scratch something...) with -1" front and rear until i mount my 21". Now i can ride it well and maybe more when i'll get my rear 18"
Don't misunderstood, i loved my lowered Ultra but riding was sometimes riding it was not exciting.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Last Thursday I picked up my Quick detach kit for the <'08 Electraglide Classic to do a Detach for the Tourpack on my '08 Ultra Classic. The kit isn't complete of course due to the Ultra Classic having Lights and speakers on the Tour Pack. So I added Desutch Connectors under the seat and added a 1ft Car Antenna Extension to the CB antenna Cable to make that detachable. Then I topped it off with Street Glide seat I scored off a nice fellow on Craig's List. And Yesterday I installed a new 8" Light grey tinted Shield from Freedom Shields. I think I'm going to get tjhe lay down plate kit from Kuryakan to tie me over till I figure out what I'm gonna do with the light bar.

I'm pretty Darned happy with the look with the tour pack off. Kind of a Street Glide in a Tux look. Next thing is to try to lower it if I can score some 12" shocks and figure out which method I want to use to lower the front. Want to go an inch front and back.

Two items for you..?? How do you like the new Shield I'm 6ft2 and looking for something shorter but still does a good job of moving the air up and over.

Second don't waste your money on the Kury lay down plate, get the HD one PN# 60210-07. The Kury finish just isn't up to par. I have the HD one.

Quick Reply: This week's Ultra Classic Mods