Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you everyone who offered help while I was stuck on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thank you everyone who offered help while I was stuck on the side of the road

Just want to thank everyone who offered suggestions and advice while I was sitting on the side of the road wondering why my bike no va.

Also special thanks to Rusty for his kind offer to trailer my bike to the dealer of my choice. Stand up guy!

A quick update. as I had no codes and as the bike "ran" for a second or two when I dribbled gas into the throttle body, I figured the bike just wasn't getting any gas.

Today I took the gas tank apart and discovered that one of the lines into the fuel filter had detached. I was able to re-secure and make sure that the plastic tangs were fully engaged - something the dealer apparently had not done when they'd been in there recently.

I'm now intimately familiar with the inside of the gas tank - which is not a bad thing. Kinda scary to think that could have come apart at any moment.

Thanks again, Dave

Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Didn't you say the dealer had been in their (twice) messing with the float rod?
Sounds like dealer error to me. Glad you figured it out though.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Didn't you say the dealer had been in their (twice) messing with the float rod?
Sounds like dealer error to me. Glad you figured it out though.
Definitely dealer error, yes. I am going to call them tomorrow. Not sure what the point will be - other than to let them know they screwed up.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
trout31
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 3 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me after the 08 fuel pump canister recall "fix". Was on a two lane in the middle of the desert. Closest towns 100 miles behind me and 75 miles in front of me. Good thing I had a cell signal. The buzzards were already circling.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the filter assy in and out of my bike twice - trying to get fit. Both times I found recoupling the larger hose the coupling felt secure - BUT, a small flatblade screwdriver got the barbs on the male part to engage properly. It is obviously secure now whereas it wasn't without that extra encouragement. Something to watch out for. Not sure I'd like to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with this problem. I consider myself very lucky to have been just 2 miles from home.