Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lubing cables.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 12:51 PM
deepsea
|
Tourer
Default lubing cables.

How and with what do you lube your cables. I have braded steel cables on my 07 road king. Do you have to get some kind of oil to run down the inside of the cables?

Old 04-16-2012 | 12:53 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Dry Slide works pretty well or I knox.

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:06 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser

Might want to find out what kind of cables you have. If your clutch cable is teflon coated, you don't oil it or it will give you problems.

Old 04-16-2012 | 11:13 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

+1 for the Inox. Great product. Comes with an injector tip to slide inside cable.

Old 04-16-2012 | 11:21 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Newer models have the teflon cables I believe, if you do use any lube use a dry lube like tri-flow, dryslide etc. A wet lube or oil will gums things up fast.

Old 04-17-2012 | 03:55 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Newer models have the teflon cables I believe, if you do use any lube use a dry lube like tri-flow, dryslide etc. A wet lube or oil will gums things up fast.

Do you think Drislide would be good for brake pistons? Also, I think the problem with lubricating the new cables is not so much gumming things up but eating into the teflon coating and destroying it.

TESTED AND NAMED BEST GUN LUBE
In tests of weapons lubricants conducted during the Persian Gulf War, Dri-Slide® moly was named the best "for all parts that dust may get to: trigger groups, bolt carriers, operating rods, slides and barrels of pistols, M16 upper receivers, and for internal parts operating at high speeds and temperatures." Soldier of Fortune, February, 1991

GOES ON WETSTAYS ON DRY
Dri-Slide® Improved Weapons Lubricant goes on wet, penetrating into even the smallest spaces, and stays on dry after the liquid carrier evaporates. Dri-Slide provides long-lasting dry film protection, outlasts oily lubricants, does not attract dirt or dust, prevents rust and corrosion, and promotes a clean bore.

Dri-Slide, after the carrier evaporates, is
-40% Molybdenum Disulphide
-20% Graphite
-20% Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDP)
-20% Petroleum based rust inhibitor
ZDP is the additive in most motor oils which tends to plate onto steel and neutralizes the acids produced when the hydrocarbons oxidize.
A very well thought out combination of ingredients for metal lubrication applications where grease would be too thick.

Last edited by jjnoble; 04-17-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2012 | 06:10 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have my manual within reach but there must be a maintenance interval for the cable if lubing is necessary. I'll check my manual later....

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:04 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK Joy
I don't have my manual within reach but there must be a maintenance interval for the cable if lubing is necessary. I'll check my manual later....
It is not required and we are even told not to lube the new teflon cables. Last winter (only when it was cold) my clutch cable dragged and made a terrible noise, it has since cleared up with the warm weather, but I was thinking maybe some type of lube might help during the cold months.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:08 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK Joy
I believe my 2011 SM does say to lube cables(clutch)every 5K.I have done this using Motion Pro cable lube with no issues.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:11 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

What MY did Harley switch to the teflon cables that don't need to be lubed?

Quick Reply: lubing cables.