Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Kuryakyn Street Sleeper II ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running Kuryakyn Street Sleeper II ?

I am gathering parts for Stage one and need help deciding on an air cleaner.

I would like to hear from anyone who is running the Kuryakyn Street Sleeper II. I like the fact that is uses the K&N "High 5" filter with an advertized 40% more CFM than the Ness big Sucker.
I know that I DO NOT NEED that much flow but I am a firm believer that more is better most of the time!
I know the ness big sucker is plenty of flow for even 110+ builds and is plenty for what I will ever do to this bike.
BUT, the Kury Street Sleeper is advertized as being closer to the engine than any other air cleaner and more flow. I can get the Kury for $150 and seems to me that is a better deal than the ness when it comes to bang for the buck.

The question is, is the Kury Street Sleeper II really a good product? Have there been any issues with oil blow-by, snorkel issues? Anything I should be concerned with if I go the Kuryakyn route?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Don't tell me I am going to be the sucker to try it out first!
Someone has had to of bought this breather and tried it?!?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

I am surprised no one answered this. Either no one has bought one or I am asking in the wrong section??

At any rate, I went ahead and bought it and will report back with any problems.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Red89
Advanced

Hey bud, unfortunately I can't comment on the performance of the Kury SSII. I am looking for a new air filter myself though, what were your thoughts on this product?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Red89
Hey bud, unfortunately I can't comment on the performance of the Kury SSII. I am looking for a new air filter myself though, what were your thoughts on this product?
It is a well biult unit. Quality parts and it all fit together perfect.
I did not measure the stock A/C but it almost looks like the Kury A/C sits closer to the engine.

As far as performance goes? I am pretty sure the Kury A/C has more flow that any engine biuld would ever need. The High-5 K&N filter that comes with it has 40% more filter area than the K&N filters used in most of the other popular kits.

All in all, I am glad I went with the Kury over the others. I get no oil drips like some others complain of. I don't think there is any performance gain using this one over any of the others.
But the ability to use the OEM cover and the larger filter area all sitting that close to the engine? I would choose this one again next time I need an A/C. No complaints at all.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the Street Sleeper on my UC. Dont know if it was the II you refer to or not. It performed OK as far as the air flow but I experenced a lot of oil dripping out of it onto the engine. It was a lot more than the stock filter. I got tired of the mess and went back to stock.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Red89
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I did not measure the stock A/C but it almost looks like the Kury A/C sits closer to the engine.

As far as performance goes? I am pretty sure the Kury A/C has more flow that any engine biuld would ever need. The High-5 K&N filter that comes with it has 40% more filter area than the K&N filters used in most of the other popular kits.

All in all, I am glad I went with the Kury over the others. I get no oil drips like some others complain of. I don't think there is any performance gain using this one over any of the others.
But the ability to use the OEM cover and the larger filter area all sitting that close to the engine? I would choose this one again next time I need an A/C. No complaints at all.
Thanks for getting back to me, man. Glad to hear you're happy with the product. What I find strange is the fact that you say it has more surface area and yet sits closer to the engine. Kuryakyn has defied the laws of spacial consumption.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Red89, here is why the Kury K&N filter has more flow. Take a look at the filter in the first picture. It is the Street Sleeper 2 with no cover on it. Notice the end of the filter, it is filter material and not capped off.
this is where the extra 40% filter surface area is..........................

Now take a look at the K&N filter that comes in the Big Ness sucker. It does not have filter material on the end, just capped off.
Both filters are great and both made by K&N but the Kuryakyn filter has 40% more filter area and thus 40% more flow compared to the filter with the capped end.......................

Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Mimo951
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis

How did you install the OEM cover with the Kury A/C filter. I got one & i want to know how dose the OEM cover fit this filter do i need to put the oem base to install it or i have to remove it

Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mimo951
How did you install the OEM cover with the Kury A/C filter. I got one & i want to know how dose the OEM cover fit this filter do i need to put the oem base to install it or i have to remove it
The OEM cover fits like a glove. It comes with rubber padded chrome supports to hold the OEM breather cover, or you can run it with just the filter, either way.

And I just started having a problem with mine. I heard all the problems with people having oil blowing out of the filter. And up till now, I haven't had a problem.
All this sudden I had oil covering my saddlebag, side cover, rear head pipe and my pants. I pulled it apart and tried to fix the problem by using gasket sealer to isolate the 2 veins that dump into the throttle body opening.
The problem is, there is a heafty chrome backing plate that bolts to the throttle body. This backing plate has 2 veins that come from the crank case vent tubes. There is then a plastic plate with a curved entry to the throttle, This plate goes over the backing plate and is suppose to seal aganst it. This turns the "veins" into "tubes". That is the idea anyway!
Mine runs in between the plastic plate and backing plate, drips out the bottom of the filter onto the OEM cover and blows down the side of the bike.

I pulled it apart and tried to seal off those "veins" with gasket sealer so they would indeed act like "tubes" and get sucked into the intake like it is suppose to.
Well it didn't work and here is the result after 400 miles!

Quick Reply: Anyone running Kuryakyn Street Sleeper II ?