Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic pipes, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Ceramic pipes, worth it?

What's the pros of a ceramic pipe vs non ceramic. Worth the extra money.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

No cons that I'm aware of other than the extra money. Ceramic pipes will in theory provide a bit more heat protection and as a result will in theory provide slightly better exhaust scavenging which in theory will result in better performance, but I personally doubt you'd notice any difference.

I went with Fullsac X-Pipe (which are coated on the outside only), because they were available and they allow you to keep the stock heat shields. Fuelmoto's 2-1-2 is coated on the interior and the exterior and also allow you to keep the stock shields, but there's nearly a three month wait, and I heard good feedback on the Fullsac product so I went with it.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a Rush Reaper ceramic coated pipe on my bike and noticed a big difference in heat. Much less heat! And all those rice crispie noises are gone when you shut down. I would recommend them. Putting a set on a friends 2012 RGC this weekend so we will see how much of a heat reduction there is as his bike is a real heat monster!!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FM 2-1-2 non-coated and I do not have the rice crispie noises (great description, by the way mike_oh). I never notice the exhaust heat. In my opinion, Ceramic coating is nice but an overkill for a street bike...

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating between the full sac and the fuelmoto, ultimately it will probably come down to which one is cheaper for me since they both provide a ceramic coated cat less pipe that will fit stock heat shields. I definitely need the heat reduction. Sometimes my right leg feels like it's on fire when in traffic.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne Limited
I am debating between the full sac and the fuelmoto, ultimately it will probably come down to which one is cheaper for me since they both provide a ceramic coated cat less pipe that will fit stock heat shields. I definitely need the heat reduction. Sometimes my right leg feels like it's on fire when in traffic.
98% of the heat reduction you will feel will be the result of not having a cat, that thing requires and creates a ton of heat in order to work properly.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM

I have the Rush Ceramic Coated True Duals (Coated inside and out) and I HIGHLY recommend them. Come complete with new beautifully finished heat shields, Fit excellent, and look great. After shutting down I can almost lay my hand on the heat shields near the motor and not get burned. I can't see myself paying for a non-ceramic coated pipe (I've had coated headers in cars and other vehicles over the years).

Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I opted for FM power duals,tuner and Ac........keeping stock slipons for now.... Good company,,, great c/s

Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been waiting 2.5 months now for the FM pipe! Feels like an eternity.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we put the RUSH crossover system on the wife's FB and it is a tremendous drop in temp under her leg

there's no way to say if it's worth the money though until you see what the money is

if a fully ceramic (inside and outside coating) RUSH system, true duals is a $1000 and a non-ceramic of some other brand is $800 - then yes its totally worth it

if the system with ceramic is $1500 and the other is $800 then maybe not worth double as you will see some drop in temps just by removing the cat

for $200-300 difference I would say it's worth it all day long and 3 times that on a really hot day sitting in traffic

Quick Reply: Ceramic pipes, worth it?