Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline 20w50 oil package

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Redline 20w50 oil package

Ive read alot about redline oil in transmission on the forum here and was wondering if anyone is running it in all three holes. Theres a complete 20w50 package on their website for 94.50. I think the regular dealership oil change costs around that much so Im wondering if the redline is that much better than harley synthetic. Is there an oil comaprison chart?
One reason Im considering redline in trans is to help reduce the hard clunking noise when shifting.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

http://www.directharleyparts.com/che..._970_1457.html

No way you're getting a premium synthetic at the dealer, including the change and labor, for $85.

I run the same kit in both bikes. Worth the money IMO.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 04-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to help...

20W50 goes in the engine. You could run it in all three holes if you want.
Heavy Shock Proof goes in the transmission. Do not put this in your engine or primary!
Primary Chain Case Oil or MTL goes in the primary. Do not put this in your engine or transmission.

The Redline Heavy Shock Proof transmission oil is wonderful and solves the transmission clunk while making neutral easier to find. I've had it in all my harleys. The 20W50 engine oil is very as good; however I run Mobil 1 engine oil due to availability. Mobil 1 is available everywhere, I typically have to order the Redline. The MTL primary oil is also good if you are under 100HP. The MTL is too slippery for high HP applications and most of those guys (including me) have to switch back to dino-oil to make their stock clutch work well.

The Redline products are far superior to the HD synthetic oils. The HD oils are expensive only because they say HD on them. Personally, I see little value in the HD oils. They are certainly overpriced.

Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 04-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,991 Likes on 4,182 Posts

Oil does not fix the clunk. If it does you have way too thick oil and you are tearing up the small needle bearing. The clunk is normal. It's the square drive dogs that drop in the side of the gears, not the gear teeth. Also caused somewhat by fluid drag between clutch plates. All normal. If you hold in clutch when cold and goose it 3-4 times up to 2K and let it drop back it will free them somewhat and will 20-30% of the time eleminate it but its really is not hurting anything. Do not put too thick oil in to make it go away. if you do you will be posting shortly the inner needle bearings are bad on the transmission output shaft.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use shockproof heavy and I still have the clunk. People need to quit worrying about the clunk, it is a Harley that's what they do. I do like shockproof as a tranny lube, Mobil 1 for eng and formula + for pri.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the Mobil 1 a synthetic lube? I like the fact of the availability factor. If Im ever on a road trip and end up with a leak or burning oil I can get the same oil almost anywhere. What wold be the alternative to redline that would also be readily available in most areas for trans and primary? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive been using Redline products in all my vehicles for years, IMO good products. They are the only full synthetic oils that are "ester" based as far as I know.

In the Harleys Ive owned, Vtwin HD with Shock Proof in the trans, in the primary VTwin Primary Oil and in my engines 20-50 Redline for V Twin. You will save a little buying the "kit"

In my Infiniti the company recommends an '"ester" based oil and they sell the Nissan brand for more than I pay for Redline synthetic 5-30. the Redline quiets down the valve train in a high rpm import engine very well. And in my Road Glide seems to also help keep the noises down as well as a little lower temps.

Redline is also available at a lot of NAPA Stores and all Cycle Gear outlets or order direct from the company

Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Is the Mobil 1 a synthetic lube? I like the fact of the availability factor. If Im ever on a road trip and end up with a leak or burning oil I can get the same oil almost anywhere. What wold be the alternative to redline that would also be readily available in most areas for trans and primary? Thanks in advance.
If your ever "on the road" and need oil Redline is compatible with all other major brands of oil so there is no problem adding it if needed. IMO as soon as you limp home if there is a problem on the road your going to repair it and then change te oil anyway . So using Redline is not a problem.

If you were to go on a long trip and your bike burned a little just bring a qt with you

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Oil does not fix the clunk. If it does you have way too thick oil and you are tearing up the small needle bearing. The clunk is normal. It's the square drive dogs that drop in the side of the gears, not the gear teeth. Also caused somewhat by fluid drag between clutch plates. All normal. If you hold in clutch when cold and goose it 3-4 times up to 2K and let it drop back it will free them somewhat and will 20-30% of the time eleminate it but its really is not hurting anything. Do not put too thick oil in to make it go away. if you do you will be posting shortly the inner needle bearings are bad on the transmission output shaft.

When my bike was in for the hyd cam tensioner upgrade, there was a Heritage on the lift next to mine with a bad tranny. I asked the mech what happened and it was the needle bearings and too thick of oil trying to quiet the clunk.

The mech pointed to his Electra sitting outside with 112,000 miles using HD dino oil and Formula+ since new and not one problem.

Dont sweat the clunk!! Its normal!! Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of harleys spend their whole life on plain old HD 360 oil and formula+

Last edited by Challenger; 04-16-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
madcardisease
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is correct, it does not solve the "clunk". But.....I did get a smoother shift, and easier to find neutral. I just ordered the kit off Amazon with a link from another thread. It was $88 with free shipping. It came within a few days, very fast. I had to order an extra qt of primary oil because the kit only came with one and my '10 SG needed round 1.4 qt. But IMHO, it is great stuff!!

Quick Reply: Redline 20w50 oil package