Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire age... please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012 | 12:05 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

This is from Dunlop’s website

The two paragraphs are in opposition. In the first one, read as they don’t want their inventory to become stale dated. In the second, the warranty period is 6 years starting on the date of manufacture, not the date placed into service, as is common. I read this as their acknowledgement that after 6 years failure rates increase.

If there were significant safety problems with old inventory tires these two paragraphs would be in the lawsuit - on page one.

At what age is a tire no longer usable?

Service life is dependent on many variables such as inflation pressure, storage, driving conditions, loads, general maintenance and abuse. Scientific or technical data indicate that a specific minimum or maximum service life cannot be objectively established. It is not appropriate to establish an arbitrary tire removal date based on chronological age due to the wide variety of factors affecting a tire’s service life.

WHAT IS WARRANTIED

Every new Dunlop original-equipment motorcycle tire that becomes unserviceable within six years or 72 months of the date of manufacture for conditions other than those which are listed under “WHAT IS NOT COVERED” will be replaced on the basis specified under “REPLACEMENT COST” below.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:01 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
This is from Dunlop’s website

The two paragraphs are in opposition. In the first one, read as they don’t want their inventory to become stale dated. In the second, the warranty period is 6 years starting on the date of manufacture, not the date placed into service, as is common. I read this as their acknowledgement that after 6 years failure rates increase.

If there were significant safety problems with old inventory tires these two paragraphs would be in the lawsuit - on page one.

At what age is a tire no longer usable?

Service life is dependent on many variables such as inflation pressure, storage, driving conditions, loads, general maintenance and abuse. Scientific or technical data indicate that a specific minimum or maximum service life cannot be objectively established. It is not appropriate to establish an arbitrary tire removal date based on chronological age due to the wide variety of factors affecting a tire’s service life.

WHAT IS WARRANTIED

Every new Dunlop original-equipment motorcycle tire that becomes unserviceable within six years or 72 months of the date of manufacture for conditions other than those which are listed under “WHAT IS NOT COVERED” will be replaced on the basis specified under “REPLACEMENT COST” below.
Good info here. The front tire on my '04 Ultra was 8 years old w/15K on it when I replaced it. Still had the same air in it that HD put in at the factory, no cracks or other signs of age related issues.

That being said, tires are a foolish way to go cheap. If you have ANY doubts about this Avon, just scrap it and buy new. Why take a chance?

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-17-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2012 | 04:42 PM
Govno
Road Captain

Wow! I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought my bike...lol

Just went out and looked.... Rear tire 0211, front tire 3303! Yikes!

Guess I know what I have to do now...

Old 04-17-2012 | 05:50 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Govno
Wow! I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought my bike...lol

Just went out and looked.... Rear tire 0211, front tire 3303! Yikes!

Guess I know what I have to do now...

Interesting avatar