Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Ultra First?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Ultra Pearl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why Ultra First?

This may be a stupid question but here goes - Why does Harley Davidson list their touring bikes Electra Glide Classic, Electra Glide Ultra Limited but they list Ultra Classic Electra Glide.....Why not Electra Glide Ultra Classic..
Just always wondered..

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Just to vex you.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Just imagine if they called an FLHX an electra glide street glide

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm guessing it is just to **** off the marketing guy with OCD.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It has kept me up many nights wondering the exact same thing.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Someone needs to go riding

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
This may be a stupid question but here goes - Why does Harley Davidson list their touring bikes Electra Glide Classic, Electra Glide Ultra Limited but they list Ultra Classic Electra Glide.....Why not Electra Glide Ultra Classic..
Just always wondered..

Awww CRAP!!!.... I was really looking forward to a good night's sleep.... and now this revoltin' predicament.....

Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Since I don't think you'll ever get the official and correct answer to that question, I'll try a theory that you can ponder...

For many years the Ultra Classic was HDs flagship and that name was very fitting. Ultra Classic being right up front in the model name. But then they introduced the Limited as the new flagship. They couldn't very well change the name of the Ultra Classic after such a long run so they were kinda F'd. Rather than change the name of the Ultra Classic, or even conflict it with the newer Limited, they just name the Limited - EG Ultra Limited.

I hope you can all sleep better now

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Since I don't think you'll ever get the official and correct answer to that question, I'll try a theory that you can ponder...

For many years the Ultra Classic was HDs flagship and that name was very fitting. Ultra Classic being right up front in the model name. But then they introduced the Limited as the new flagship. They couldn't very well change the name of the Ultra Classic after such a long run so they were kinda F'd. Rather than change the name of the Ultra Classic, or even conflict it with the newer Limited, they just name the Limited - EG Ultra Limited.

I hope you can all sleep better now
Well, I've pondered your theory, and this is what I believe....

The Ultra Classic is still the flagship. That's why it's called the Ultra Classic. Taking that bike and swapping out saddle bag rails for a tourpak rack does not make that the new flagship. Black, white, or Titanium faced gauges should be a no-cost option. Tell non-owners you have an Ultra Classic and they know exactly what you are talking about. Tell them you have a Limited and they'll reply 'a Limited what?' It was just a trim level to squeeze a few extra bucks out of people for the 103. Now that they all have 103's the Limited should be dropped.

The most expensive model is the CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide (no Limited in that name, although that is the one that is truly limited)

I could be biased, but I don't think so...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM
weride7/7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule #7 Never second guess the MOCO,Just Ride. I've never had anyone say " a LIMITED what ". 2 types of ultra owners ,Those that have ultras , and those who wish they had a LIMITED!!

Quick Reply: Why Ultra First?