Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon Radio - Sound Field Processing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon Radio - Sound Field Processing?

So, I've come to the conclusion that as nice as all the whizbang features the HK radio on my '09 FLHTCU has, it's just not a good starting point for a decent audio system. I believe (and would love to have someone confirm or deny) that it has some sort of DSP sound processor in it to enhance the soundfield for the rider and as a result, the audio qualities are crappy at best.

I added a decent amp (Bazooka), Infinity Kappa 6.5"s in the fairing and CVO lowers as well as 5.25" Kappas in the rear pods. It IS loud. In fact, very loud but it lacks something. Even at a standstill, it's just flat. Not much punch at all. I've played around with various sources CD, iPod, Radio as well as different tone and even EQ settings on my iPod and all with the same result. Just not feeling it.

I am thinking of tearing out the HK unit and going with something different. Anyway, can anyone confirm whether or not the HK head unit does any sound processing? I've seen units like this before and have never been impressed.

Thanks for reading...