Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourning bike questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM
HD-Dream
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tourning bike questions?

Ok I need a suggestion. I’ve been riding for as long as I can remember. I was raised on 2 wheels. I will be purchasing another HD in about a year. This bike will be specifically for touring. It may not get ridden very often except for when we go on long trips. I have a 93 Sportster 1200 for around town. Here is our situation. My wife and I want to start touring in the next year or so we are planning on doing things like driving 6-8 hours to a destination and spending a few days their then heading home. As well as a 2 week tour once a year for our vacation. I have always wanted a Road King but I just don’t know if it will fit my bill. My wife likes the Ultra Classic. I think it might work out better. I have done overnight and weekend trips on other bikes in the past and the Road King would work out great for me I don’t really pack much just my tooth brush tooth paste a razor and a change of clothes. On longer trips in the past I just purchased cloths on the way and mailed the dirty ones back to my house. But now I have to consider her. Which bike would be better for me? I'm stuck between the two? Also when did HD start using Fuel Injection? I don't want a bike with a carburetor I'm hassling trying to get my sporty dialed in.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The very reason why the wife and I got away from the SuperGlides.Actually built my last two bikes for the big inch motors save many thousands of dollars.The Road King was our choice with a TourPack and bags you can carrry a lot of stuff and they are quick detach.With a big inch motor these machines are a pure joy to ride.Good Luck whatever choice you make.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,215 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-Dream
Which bike would be better for me? I'm stuck between the two?
Get a king and put detachable stuff on and make it what you both want

Originally Posted by HD-Dream
Also when did HD start using Fuel Injection? I don't want a bike with a carburetor I'm hassling trying to get my sporty dialed in.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM
torinoman
Cruiser

I recommend you rent a road king and then a ultra and take a couple day trips with the wife.
Personally I love my road king for it's versatility and comfort,but I ride solo, my wife is afraid of motorcycles.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 526 Posts

we travel a lot after 2 years and many weeks on the road we traded our rk for the ultra,after adding the cost of tour pack lowers paint on those a fairing we traded

Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet an Ultra Classic would fit your needs the best. Or maybe a basic Electra-Glide.

Last edited by shortride; 04-16-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Street Glide or EG...

Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM
leprechaun667
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest you rent a RoadKing then Ultra Classic.
I have the Ultra Classic and Love it. The next one; probably Ultra Roadglide I road my Brother-in-law's and fell in love with the fixed fairing.
All three Touring models ride close to the same.
You really have to figure out what works for you.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM
IAmConverted
Cruiser

Get the bike you've always loved and you'll always love riding it. As far as being able to take your trips. Put on a hidden hitch (the kind that can't be seen when not being used), and get a tow behind trailer. Yea there is some up-front costs but if you get a good trailer it'll last many years & through many bikes. Plus wife will love being able to take her stuff.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

If you truly are objective? You will get the Ultra for exactly the reasons you stated.
Had mine six years lots of short trips and a 2 week vacation every year.
Never enough storage room when riding two up.

Quick Reply: Tourning bike questions?