Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourning bike questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 AM
iride1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant beat the Ultra for touring with the wife, bought a 2012 Ultra Classic Limited in Jan. the wife loves it,I do too. The only problem I have now every time the bike is started shes ready to ride!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM
HD-Dream
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like its gonna be the Ultra Classic. Wife said she's putting her foot down and soon as we get the truck paid off in about a year we are getting it. This is an arguement I'm gladly not fighting :b We went looking at them and found a used 2010 that the dealer where I do all my Harley business. They let me take it out for a short spin. She is hooked! One thing I'm wandering about tho. We always use full faced helmets. If I did not have one on in my last crash I probably would not have a face right now! Is the radio pointless with a full faced helmet? I did not screw with it I was more concerned with the ride. I forgot how comfie they are!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Well sience your wife has made your mind up for you,
happy miles to the both of you but I was going to put
a plug in for a Road King Classic with a crise control,
same bike fully dressed, or sporterized

Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

If you are going to ride two up on multi day tours. I would strongly recommend the Road Glide Ultra over the Ultra Classic. I have both and the Road Glide is a considerably better long distance in terms of comfort, stability and handling.

I do several tours a year and the Road Glide just out performs the Ultra. But I will keep the Ultra. We have been through a lot together.

You will wind up using all the space. I throw away my shirts, socks and underwear each day and I travel solo. Always a Walmart with cheap replacements. I still wind up with full luggage when I return.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-21-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have an '08 UC. Wife loves the ride. We have full-face Shoei's and use the H-D wired intercom for both talk & music. Never use the external speakers. Would prefer a wireless device but do not want to spend the time researching the technology. Have replaced the cords as the connectors break frequently.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Road King and an Ultra are the same bike with just a bunch of stuff bolted on it (namely fairing, stereo, lowers and a CB). I have the detachable stuff and can have my RK go from a stripped down cruiser to a full-on coast to coast touring machine in 5 minutes.

Unless you or Mama want a stereo system I'd say the RK will get the job done fine yet is verstile enough to be a bit less cumbersome when you don't need all the bulk of a Ultra and it's tourpak, etc. In reality a set of iPods and ear buds will solve the music issue for you or blue tooth headsets so you can talk back and forth with each other.

As said above rent one of each and take Mama for a ride and let that help with your decision.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
mtndave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an '11 RGU, after 9 years of riding an Ultra for many long-distance trips (10-14 days). We pack for three days, then stop at a laundromat. Tourpak, side bags, and luggage rack give us enough space

The RGU is more stable, but we miss the Ultra. On bright sunny days, depending on direction, the sunlight glare back in the face from the RGU gauges and stereo is blinding! Nasty design problem here-thinking of going back to the Ultra.

Last edited by mtndave; 04-29-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:44 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default How About?

How about a Road King with a tourpak added on? All the sportiness of the king with the capacity of any other bagger! I added a wrap around backrest (the wife's throne) and a luggage rack to carry the "extra" luggage on.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,339 Likes on 5,486 Posts

If you plan to ride two up and touring. Buy a RK and your spend most of your time trying to finish it as a touring bike. You will also spend a lot the work.
Buy a full touring bike like the Road Glide Ultra or an Ultra.
The few bucks you save on a RK will bite you in the wallet real fast.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds familiar, I had a Road King and loved it, but my wife did not feel secure even with a backrest. So I put her on an Ultra at the dealer one day and she said buy it. She fells more secure and comfortable on that back seat. So we have an Ultra, I couldn't be more pleased, she rides with me a lot an it is one heck of a good bike. Just don't let her sit on the back of a Gold Wing.

Quick Reply: Tourning bike questions?