Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourning bike questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tourpak? Why?

Both bikes will do the job but while the Ultra is more luxurious, the RK looks cooler imo - I'm with Dickey in that I'm not a fan of the faring look. You can get a RK with lockable hard bags, but why use a tourpak? You can use a Deemeed 100 litre travel bag or the new 103 litre Grantour bag from Kuryakyn which gives you that non-faring cruiser look on the back of the sissy bar. Take the wind shield off and you have a cruiser.

The trick is to get a comfy seat. I bought the Mustang super touring 4 piece so my wife gets a nice puffy seat with sissy bar and goes with me everywhere, and I get a comfy seat with a backrest that comes out if I want, and the whole thing converts to a single riding seat in less than a minute with a single phillips screw driver. I put 16" apes on it too so I look good, feel good and ride for hours touring with the wife with no issues, but can look like a boulevard cruiser in minutes if I'm staying in town or going solo.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Warning! if you get a Road King, your Sporty will eventually be the one sitting in the garage. The versitility of a RK is its strengh, and stripped down it is a fun, nimble, really good "around town" bike and Blvd cruiser. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Ultras - good for some, but too bulky for me, even though I have detachable everything for my bike..

I didn't read every post, but the last year you could get a carb was in 2006. Me, I have my carb dialed in on my RK and have no interest in EFI. Last summer I took the bike to the Rocky Mountains and the CV carb never missed a beat, even a 12,000 feet. My EFI friends were amazed.

Last edited by Pumba11; 04-16-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Ultra is great. But you can buy a RK I get detachable tour pack. BUT I would check out prices before. They are not cheap.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from a 2007 RKC to a 2009 Ultra and love it. Should have done it sooner. Dosen't matter if it is local or a all day cruise the ride is great. Wife loves it too. Feels good to arrive at my destination and not tired from the wind beating on you. Nice to listen to tunes and the CB for group communication.

Last edited by tibadoe; 04-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

I do a lot of riding with my wife similar to what you are describing of your future intentions. I would have to say a dresser of some sort. I had a fat boy several years ago with a backrest and a detachable windshield and bags. My wife was not comfortable on that at all. Made the trips a hassle. Bought an Ultra Classic and now she loves to ride. Most of my friends with full dressers and wives say the same thing. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can pack a lot of $hit into two hard bags and a tour pak. No problem on a Road Kind.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I just did a week on my RKC. It was great. I used a Kurayakin Full Dresser bag which had plenty of space for a weeks worth of clothes AND a FF helmet in the top section. (See my signature pic) If I'd left the FF at home, there would be room for the wife's stuff as well. (I didn't take her on this one.) The bag was rock solid on the luggage rack and pops on and off quickly. Go with the Road King.

(I may have a very slight bias for Road Kings. )

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Rholo
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Street Glide and I bought the King Tour Pack...and many other accessories. I love it, but it cost a lot with all of the accessories (though I did buy them a couple at a time).

If I had to do it again, I would buy the Ultra straight off, I love the full dresser. I love that tour pak...it is so handy!

You have a bar hopper already, so you're good to go there.

However, I have always loved the road king classic, so I bought a 2012 and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. This bike will have a solo seat and never see a windshield. It's just for me...to stare at in my garage for the several months of winter I have here in ND.

I've seen some pretty cool aftermarket fairings for the road king, so you could have the best of both worlds, but that Ultra really is decked out...I don't think you can make a wrong choice either way.

Either Harley touring model will be a joy. I like the suggestions people made about renting first...that is good advice.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Sam Williams
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I put 30k miles two up on a 2006 wideglide and we thought it was heaven. In 2010 we bought an Ultra,and it is like night and day. The comfort, the tunes and radio,THE COMFORT, (did I mention COMFORTABLE RIDING?) and we sold the wideglide to my son who loves it now. If you plan 600 mile days on the bike for any traveling, get the Ultra, The road king is comfortable bar hopper, but the ultra was designed and built for what the OP says he and is ol lady are going to be doing.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-Dream
Ok I need a suggestion. I’ve been riding for as long as I can remember. I was raised on 2 wheels. I will be purchasing another HD in about a year. This bike will be specifically for touring. It may not get ridden very often except for when we go on long trips. I have a 93 Sportster 1200 for around town. Here is our situation. My wife and I want to start touring in the next year or so we are planning on doing things like driving 6-8 hours to a destination and spending a few days their then heading home. As well as a 2 week tour once a year for our vacation. I have always wanted a Road King but I just don’t know if it will fit my bill. My wife likes the Ultra Classic. I think it might work out better. I have done overnight and weekend trips on other bikes in the past and the Road King would work out great for me I don’t really pack much just my tooth brush tooth paste a razor and a change of clothes. On longer trips in the past I just purchased cloths on the way and mailed the dirty ones back to my house. But now I have to consider her. Which bike would be better for me? I'm stuck between the two? Also when did HD start using Fuel Injection? I don't want a bike with a carburetor I'm hassling trying to get my sporty dialed in.
If money isn't really a concern and your wife is going along, the Ultra would be a no brainer. I'd never think of taking my wife on an extended vacation on my RK as it is a cruiser that needs more creature comforts, storage and wind protection like the Ultra offers. I do tons of 6-8 hour trips on the RK but I do it solo.

Quick Reply: Tourning bike questions?