Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourning bike questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Ultra. Whether it's an Ultra Classic, or an Ultra Limited it's going to have the amenities that make long distance touring comfortable. The best part of these bikes is that the bike doesn't handle like it's a road sofa either. Another good point is that if you want to purchase the quick disconect docking system and an additional seat you can turn the Ultra's into a Street Glide with minimal time also. I'm sure others will chime in but for my money I'll stay on the Ultra. Not much more to say than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
W.P.
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too went round and round on which touring bike to buy and ended up getting the limited. At first it seems like you will have tons of storage but there's not as much as you would think once you start packing or should I say "she" starts packing.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Faststeel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road King or Ultra what ever you decide just make sure to get a 2009 or newer the frame change started that year and it made a huge difference. For me it's the Ultra just can't beat the comfort. Like the idea of trying them both out first! Good luck you will enjoy it what ever way you go.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would get the Ultra and I would be willing to bet the Sportster will be sitting in the garage quite a bit after you get the Ultra and find out how well they maneuver in city driving.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted a Road King, too and if my wife wasn't going to ride that's probably what I would have bought. But with our plans to tour and do lots of day rides locally and weekend rides as well, we ended up with the Ultra. I really like it and ride it anytime I can.

You're only gonna be using it sparingly and for touring purposes, so why not get the Ultra touring bike?

I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing the ultra will get you that the king can't is tunes. I have cloth lowers when its cold and a detachable tourpak for momma. A big bag mounts on the rack on the tourpak. I'm still a few grand cheaper than an ultra.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,268 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Riding two-up I'd say that you should get the biggest machine that you can ride and afford. A goor trailer isn't a bad idea either.
My wife fought me on the trailer issue for years until I bought a cheap one at a swap meet and then she recognized just how handy they are.

If we take one bike (my Ultra) on a long trip, we put our leathers (never leave home without your leather jacket!) rain gear and necessities in the saddle bags and tourpack and all of our other clothes, stuff to wash the bike, etc. in the trailer. THis way if we're staying in the same place for a couple of days or more, we can unhook the trailer and leave it somewhere and still have all we need on the bike to go out sightseeing without having to take the trailer.
A quality trailer pulls easily but you have to be aware that you have it behind you especially on curvy, hilly roads as well as when the road is wet.

You also may want to consider a Tri-GlideTrike.
They're starting to catch my eye more and more these days.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a RK with the detachable tour pack. My wife and I take a lot of trips, some weekend trips and a two week vacation every year.

My RK wont ever be sold or traded but if and when I can ever buy another bike.................It'll be an Ultra.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ultra surely has the creature comforts, and there is something to be said for keeping wifey in your corner. Also as stated, the RK with the Tour Pack configures the bike to carry lots of stuff. Beyond that, think about the other stock accessories on the Ultra. Are they meaningful? How about the comfort of a fairing?

You have some time to thing about it. Good Luck with the choice.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM
gregfri
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my vote is to get an ultra. I was looking at a road king or ultra when i was bike shopping. I happened to find an ultra in my price range first, and I am very happy I did. I set mine up so I could remove the tour pack and bought a solo seat, thinking I would drive it in this configuration the most. I think I have only had the tour pack off twice in the last year. The tour pack is so handy, either to carry extra clothes, lock up the helmets when parked, or running errands that I never want to be without it. My wife rides with me a lot and loves the comfort of the ultra, so as they say, happy wife, happy life!

Quick Reply: Tourning bike questions?