Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you pull a trailer....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
makinthemove
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you pull a trailer....

Just bought a 2012 Ultra Limited and I am looking to put a trailer hitch on it so I can pull my trailer. I am considering the one from Rivco. I also looked at the kuryakyn brand as well. Can anyone give some feedback on either of these? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by makinthemove
Just bought a 2012 Ultra Limited and I am looking to put a trailer hitch on it so I can pull my trailer. I am considering the one from Rivco. I also looked at the kuryakyn brand as well. Can anyone give some feedback on either of these? Thanks in advance.
Have you looked at the Krome Werks? I have had two of these. It is a receiver type hitch, so when you are NOT using it, you don't have some ball thingy hanging off the end.

J&P has a whole bunch. You want to decide if you want the receiver kind or the perm kind first.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Not sure if true but been told trailer hitch will void warranty. I would check with the dealer if you have not already done so.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm looking as well.
After searching,everybody likes one or the other.
You are going to get many opinions like which oil to use.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
Not sure if true but been told trailer hitch will void warranty. I would check with the dealer if you have not already done so.
Remove the hitch before you take it in.Now if your your on the road,all depends on the SW and what breaks.
Will a hitch void a bad radio?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:35 PM
makinthemove
Intermediate

It only voids the warranty if it's determined that towing the trailer was the reason for the damaged item. My service guy at the dealer told me that. I guess it would also depend on your dealer. For the amount of times I pull a trailer, don't think it would be an issue. Don't have that in writing but direct from his mouth.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM
exWinger
Advanced

I really like my Bushtec receiver hitch. When the hitch ball is removed you can't even tell I have a hitch installed on the bike.

Ride Safe!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Had a Hitch Doc on the '02 and just install one on our '12 Ultra. Drop the ball and you can hardly tell it's there. Quality hitch and great people to work with.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by exWinger
I really like my Bushtec receiver hitch. When the hitch ball is removed you can't even tell I have a hitch installed on the bike.

Ride Safe!
Yup, I've got a Bushtec, also. They have three different versions of both styles (receiver and full tongue) - one for plain fenders, one for bumpers and SG/RGC fascias, and one for extended CVO fenders. Here's my RGU with rear facia. Standing six feet behind it, you can't see it. You need to get down on the ground to see it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Grind
Road Master

I'll add that their customer service is very good, too. I couldn't get the center section to fit - it was hitting the tri-bar light. When I called, there was some confusion, because they couldn't figure out why it didn't fit. So, they sent me a different version center section, at their expense, next day air. It still wasn't the right version, do I took some pictures of the two that I had and emailed them. They sent the only other version that it could have been, again next day on their dime.

Turned out that I had ordered the right version, they sent the right version, but the wrong piece was in the kit.

They were very apologetic for the inconvenience. Fortunately, I was dealing with this in the fall/winter, so no riding time was lost , and I wasn't trying to get this rig set up the day before a trip.

Last edited by Grind; 04-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: If you pull a trailer....