Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing a Drive Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012 | 09:51 AM
Titan307
Intermediate

Im new here and probably dont have a lot of input to give but why not look for an indepent guy. We have several around here. They do the job right but dont charge as much because the dont have the overhead. The guy near me was a Harley till he retired. Now works out of his garage just to keep busy and BS with customers. About half what stealership charges. Just an idea.

Old 04-15-2012 | 10:08 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
in fact air impact tools should not be used on the comp sprocket or clutch nut ( left hand thread !) as the impacts can cause damage

mike
And you base this statement on what?

Old 04-15-2012 | 10:27 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by Titan307
Im new here and probably dont have a lot of input to give but why not look for an indepent guy. We have several around here. They do the job right but dont charge as much because the dont have the overhead. The guy near me was a Harley till he retired. Now works out of his garage just to keep busy and BS with customers. About half what stealership charges. Just an idea.
Just because your new here. does not mean you have much to add. You can spend years in here talking about chrome this, or lights that, and still know a bunch less then the guy who just signed up.

As far as indys or any mechanic in general, do a little research on the guy before you trust your skoot with him. In the end, its your money and more importantly your *** if something goes wrong. I brought my 74 XLCH wheels to an indy by me for tires. Wanted the exact ones that were on there to maintain the look, and also because they had worked well for me. Anyways, he talked me out of it and had me sold on two tires that he had in his shop. Well, he couldnt do the tires right away, and thats fine, I didn't think that he would drop everything for me. But, he wanted me to pay him up front for the tires, and leave my wheels, saying it would be about a week. Of course I said no, I'll leave the wheels, but no way I'm leaving any money til job is done, especially since he already said he had the tires in his shop. Come to find out this guy is notorius for having bikes for months without even touching them, and of course some of the things he has touched are, well, you know the stories.

Old 04-15-2012 | 10:28 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by hog-doc
And you base this statement on what?
Probably someone that did not know how to set the impact wrench regulator to kick out before metal started flying.

Old 04-15-2012 | 01:38 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Titan307
A good indy is always nice option to have (especially after warranty runs out).
As far as the OP, it depends on your abilities and how much time you are willing to spend. Plan on a full day of work and having the bike down for a week.
If all goes well the job will be done by lunch time. If you need to get tools or parts that will take extra time.