Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N Air Filters

Is there any benefit to replacing the stock air filter with a K&N replacement filter? Not talking about big sucker or screaming eagle type hi flow air cleaner.
I know the HD filter is supposedly washable, but for 11.00 or so, it's just easier to replace. I see the HD-1499 can be bought for around 35.00 or so on ebay and is washable,etc.
Just wonder if it allows more air in than the stock one does.

Joe

Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Is there any benefit to replacing the stock air filter with a K&N replacement filter?

I know the HD filter is supposedly washable, but for 11.00 or so, it's just easier to replace.

Well the benefit is is it's reusable and probly built better than the OEM.
According K&N,it does offer more air flow when dirty.

Depending on how much you ride,the K&N would pay for it's self.

I have a K&N filter on my 2001 Dodge truck.That was the last filter I had to by for it.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Is there any benefit to replacing the stock air filter with a K&N replacement filter? Not talking about big sucker or screaming eagle type hi flow air cleaner.
I know the HD filter is supposedly washable, but for 11.00 or so, it's just easier to replace. I see the HD-1499 can be bought for around 35.00 or so on ebay and is washable,etc.

Joe
Joe, does your bike still have stock air cleaner and pipes? If so, how many miles have you put on it and what year is it? Have you been "happy" with it remaining stock? I just bought a new 2012 Ultra Limited and the dealer "threw in" a lifetime maintenance plan with it, so I will just let them deal with the air filter.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as you follow the instructions with the K&N they say it's a million mile filter with better air flow than OEM filters.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
PDDGM
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Joe, does your bike still have stock air cleaner and pipes? If so, how many miles have you put on it and what year is it? Have you been "happy" with it remaining stock? I just bought a new 2012 Ultra Limited and the dealer "threw in" a lifetime maintenance plan with it, so I will just let them deal with the air filter.
Yes, it still has the stock air cleaner and pipes on it! I have over 80,000 miles and have been happy with it, except for the heat issues. I have been told that increasing air flow in could help with the heat issue. It also has the hydraulic adjusters on the cam drive and 26 Andrews cams in it. That is all that has been done engine wise. Anytime the air temp gets over 90, it just about becomes unridable for the wife(another issue all together).

Joe

Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this particular instance, your air flow will be limited by the stock (restrictive) air filter housing itself. You'll not gain any airflow over stock with just the filter change. As stated above, you will gain a filter that will last longer than you'll probably own the bike. Some guys like the stock look and will change to a higher flowing filter then modify the stock housing to flow more air. Usually by drilling a series of holes in the backing plate or along the bottom of the filter housing where it doesn't show.
As far as increasing the air flow to mke it run cooler....the only way that will happen is if you increase the airflow across the engine itself. Increasing the air flow into or out of the engine will make it run leaner which in turn will make it run hotter. You'll need some type of tuner to increase the amount of fuel the engine recieves in order to accomplish your goal.

Last edited by Gearhead3; 04-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
PDDGM
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
In this particular instance, your air flow will be limited by the stock (restrictive) air filter housing itself. You'll not gain any airflow over stock with just the filter change. As stated above, you will gain a filter that will last longer than you'll probably own the bike. Some guys like the stock look and will change to a higher flowing filter then modify the stock housing to flow more air. Usually by drilling a series of holes in the backing plate or along the bottom of the filter housing where it doesn't show.
As far as increasing the air flow to mke it run cooler....the only way that will happen is if you increase the airflow across the engine itself. Increasing the air flow into or out of the engine will make it run leaner which in turn will make it run hotter. You'll need some type of tuner to increase the amount of fuel the engine recieves in order to accomplish your goal.
Thanks I do remember reading a thread about modifying the backing plate for more air flow. I have a dynojet tuner, just haven't installed it, except for a test with the stock map in it, seemed to make the bike run better, but most on here expressed their opinions, it was most likely my imagination..LOL..Again thanks for the input.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
How the hell did you get them to "throw in" lifetime maintenance? Thats almost like a free bike in the long run.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Armstronges
How the hell did you get them to "throw in" lifetime maintenance? Thats almost like a free bike in the long run.
I thought it was a great deal. I am sure they are betting that I will not put many miles on the bike or keep it for very long. I plan to put at least 100,000 miles on this bike at the rate of around 15k-20k a year so I should easily get "my money's worth" out of the deal!!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

My dealer wanted almost as much for the stock filter as the cost of a K&N. No brainer on that choice.