Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tell me about harley turbos,,,

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 AM
wrustywrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tell me about harley turbos,,,

thinking about doing a turbo setup on my e-glide. For power and to be different than most . I have forced induciton on my vette and love it. So its just natural for me to boost the bike.

I feel boost is easier on the motor in lower amounts cause it runs like stock till ya wick on the throttle. Big bore and high compression is always there,pounding away at everything.

let me know what ya know

thanks

Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,687 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Default RE: tell me about harley turbos,,,

Here's what I know........EXPENSIVE BUT WORK!
They are not worth the money in my opinion for a daily ridden bike. You also generate extra heat near leg. The one I have looked cost in the $4000.00 plus range and adding boost you better have a motor that can take it such as forged pistons and welded crank pins if you want it to stay together long term. So in the big picture actual cost will be about double that if bike is put together right to take the power. Save your money and look at the Kuryakyn Crusher Package as a good power option that is dependable.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/wtproducts.a...gn=Dyno+Charts

Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
wrustywrench
Cruiser

never thought about the crank pins//// might be more than I wanted to get into .....

Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 AM
310Pilot
Intermediate

There are a lot of things to consider. I've run turbocharged engines in a number of aircraft (air cooled) and a few cars, including an intercooledBuick Turbo Regal (same package as the GNX Grand National, but a sleeper with a nicer paint job and leather interior). If you're planning on doing it on a street bike for normal use, I predict a relatively short engine life, unless you significantly strengthen some of the "innards" and reduce the compression ratio significantly, thereby losing much of your low-end performance. Remember, you are running an air-cooled engine, and running almost any amount of boost will rapidly and significantly elevate cylinder head temps and pressures. I have seen the results of pilots over-boosting turbocharged aircraft engines - do it once, and they've made a $35,000 - $65,000 mistake -and the turbo'ed a/c engines are specifically designed for turbocharging, with lower compression ratios and a number of stronger internal parts (cranks, connecting rods, etc.) than their normally aspirated counterparts.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 AM
watrousmark
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the fun factor. Try searching for RB racing motorcycles. Aeromotive used to make a specific kit. Definitely need to intercool if you do it.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Dannl
Cruiser

Check out Nick Trask's Custom Performance web site he does the turbo http://www.turboyourharley.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/3544/A32E16C51ACB4244AD3C7ACD28441170.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '01' 107"turbo Ultra and there is not another bike in the world that I would trade it for, had a Boss Hoss before it. I spotted this turboed bike for sale on Ebay, and having been in the race car dyno tuning business forover a decadewith a lot of experiance setting up boost applications, this had to be mine. Once I got the bike and sorted out many problems, mostly tuning, their cannot be a better ride. It can pass almost any bike with both my wife and I on it, 12000 mi in '06', including Sturgis.

The greatest advantage ofthisturbo is,I have a very docile, stock like drivability and fuel mileaged bike,but hit boost and can make150 HP.

Is it for everyone? No, not yet. If the engine is set up correctly, it is properly tuned and you take care of it, it will last as long as any bike cranking out close to that HP. But, in the HD world, programmability of availableEMSs are too limited for such an application and there isvery limited knowledge of EMS systems in general, not to mention boost applications. Cost, HD owners will never bepublically viewedfor being frugal, plus $/HP, I've seen a lot spend a lot more, then wind up with a bike that is barely streetable, etc. Compared to our previous non turboed Ultra, we do not notice that much more heat, we get low 40s MPG on tripsand so far, we have had to help guys with bikes only a few years old get their bikes home, we have yet to have a breakdown, knock on wood.

Is it for you? Possibly, but let me warn you, like any luxury, if it works, it will become a nessesity, HP is addictive.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Geargrinder, your case was well made and the very reason why I have never gone the turbo or superchargeroute.My choice of powerhas always been more cubic inches.I was weaned on how to tune a carbed motor.Don't get me wrong,a different time or better access to to the tuning info and maybe I would have gone the huffed route.