Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road king fork oil change,with vacuum!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
vangasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Road king fork oil change,with vacuum!

Just changed the fork oil using the vacuum method and it worked great and was a learning experience at the same time. I used a electric pump because it made the same amount of vacuum as the hand operated one and was a lot less work. I first let the forks drain completely while I made up setup to fill the forks back up. Both my vacuum pumps topped out at 20 inchs mercury vacuum which is about the minimum it seemed you would need to pull the 11.2 oz of oil back into the fork. The fork drain screw is metric (8-1.25) so I got a bolt and drilled a hole through the center (a lathe is really handy) and used a o-ring to seal it when screwed into the fork leg and used some small fittings I finally found a use for. I tried a valve like they use on fish tanks to let the oil flow when I needed it but it leaked vacuum at the packing so I just used a tee and used pliers to clamp the lines. I clamped the container line and filled with the correct amount of oil ( I went with 15w, got rid of the diving problem) applied the vacuum and clamped that line then unclamped the oil line letting it flow. If you see any bubbles whatsoever stop, let it drain again and start over, it means you have a vacuum leak somewhere (did this twice). You really don't lose much oil putting the drain screw back in so don't compensate for it. Took several hours between making the set up and learning curve but could do it in no time at all now and I'll be ready next time.

Attached Thumbnails 08 Road king fork oil change,with vacuum!-bars_001.jpg