Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP front drop in lowering kit 'rides to hard'

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts
Default HELP front drop in lowering kit 'rides to hard'

I work in home building and remodels in Michigan, I don't make the $ like I did just 3 years ago.
I did a Search but nothing on a drop in hard ride fix.
I just installed the Progressive drop in kit on my 11 RK so I can flat foot better. I put in new fork oil, stock Harley type. I refiled the forks back up to the same as stock, took 9 oz in each. I did NOT drop the 2" just took her down 1". When I set on the King the front forks from full extension drop 1 7/8" I ride solo only, at 185 lbs.
I don't know what the full front travel is on a standard RK, I forgot to measure.

Problem, rides way to stiff, not to bad on small drops but when I hit a rise in the road like a seem the front hits so hard the bike jumps up, it's all I can do to stay on the seat. I can Handel curves a lot faster because the front don't dive when I get aggressive, that was fun.
On 1 curve right in the middle of it I hit a bump and the front jumped up and went to the side a little that was not fun.
So is there any thing I can just add or adjust to make this King at least ride as smooth as stock with out spending a lot of cash ? or em I just stuck with this for now?...Thanks.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley oil is a 10 weight type b. You could try a type e which is a 5 weight would soften up a little. I pulled this from progressive's website...Fork Oil
Unless otherwise noted we recommend the stock oil
viscosity and level. Oil viscosity can be changed to alter
damping. Heavier oil will increase damping. Lighter oil will
decrease damping. Change in five weight increments (i.e.
from 10 weight to 15 weight). Oil viscosity will have more
effect on rebound damping than compression damping. Too
high of viscosity can create harshness on sharp edge
bumps. The oil level also affects the ride. Too high an oil
level and the forks will feel too stiff, too low and the bike will
bottom out, feel too soft and tend to dive.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
akjeff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're saying that the forks compress 1-7/8" when you sit on the bike(this after already losing an inch in the lowering kit), I'd say you're damn near out of travel. Seems like either something is installed wrong, or the spring rate is way too soft. I'd call Progressive, and tell them what's going on, and exactly what you've done. Changing fork oil, isn't going to do jack for the sag you're seeing. Increased preload, is what will remedy that. No way I'd ride that thing fast on bumpy corners till it's fixed.

Jeff

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The Drop In kit works well for lowering your bike but it does it by causing a controled amount of SAG. You loose travel and the quality of the suspension dampening suffers. id bet your bottoming out and thats why your bouncing around on bumps.

IMO if your going to modify the front suspension on our Harleys you only have a couple choices to do it so that it improves the handling that are not super expensive
1. Progressive Monotubes, stock is best but even if you go 1" lower because of the improved characterists of the unit it will handle as well or better than the stock set up
2. Ricor Intimidators
3. Stay stock height but change out springs and fork oil

I think you need to add a little more preload to the Drop In (lengthen the spacer0 to raise the bike and get a little more travel, if it is bottoming a heaver fork oil may help a little

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Thickraybans
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akjeff
If you're saying that the forks compress 1-7/8" when you sit on the bike(this after already losing an inch in the lowering kit), I'd say you're damn near out of travel. Seems like either something is installed wrong, or the spring rate is way too soft. I'd call Progressive, and tell them what's going on, and exactly what you've done. Changing fork oil, isn't going to do jack for the sag you're seeing. Increased preload, is what will remedy that. No way I'd ride that thing fast on bumpy corners till it's fixed.

Jeff
I have a drop in kit on mine lowered 1.5". I weigh 220lbs. when I set on the bike the front doesn't squat more than an eighth of an inch.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Get soem intiminators to drop in there. They dropped the price $130 since I bought mine.
http://hogpro.com/

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE=GPHDXLC;9659918
Quote from my first post.
I put in new fork oil, STOCK Harley type. I refiled the forks back up to the same as stock, took 9 oz in each. I did NOT drop the 2" just took her down 1". When I set on the King the front forks from FULL extension drop 1 7/8" I ride solo only, at 185 lbs.
I don't know what the full front travel is on a standard RK, I forgot to measure.
[/QUOTE]

What I meant was from full extension with the front wheel up in the air on a jack. When I set the bike back on the floor the fork compresses 1 5/8" and then when I set on her it drops another 1/4" for a total of 1 7/8".

I just got off the phone with Progressive Tech, he said my spacer is to long making the front springs to stiff.
He said to take out the spacer and cut off another 1/4" at a time until I get a smoother ride. I told him I really didn't want to go lower then 1" and he said the 1/4" I cut off will lower the bike very little because of the Compensation spring on top.
I don't think they should call this a drop in kit on a King, now on my Sportys and my Dyna it was easy just take off the fork cap and the spacer popped right out. On a Turing bike it's a pain in the a$$, to much to take apart. I sure as he11 hope this guy is right.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD front fork lowering kit on my '11 Glide. I don't know if what your'e experiencing is because the forks are to stiff (doubt that) or if its because you are bottoming out the fork and your simply smacking the fork stops. If anything I think you didn't install enough pre-load versus having too stiff of a spring preload. Before you cut your existing plastic pipe go and buy some more at Lowes and put in a longer (say 1 1/2x what you have now) and then see how the bike feels.

If this still fails I would see if Progressive will give you credit for the Lowering Kit if you purchase the Progressive Monotube Cartridge Front Fork Kit. If you still want to lower you bike then buy the 31-2501 kit which will allow you to lower your bike 1-2 inches. I'm in the process of doing that now since the front forks dive so much.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

My guess is that, as was stated before, you are bottoming out. Forks only have 4" of travel and you have made them lose 1" of that by lowering it 1". Now you have 2" left when riding.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
What I meant was from full extension with the front wheel up in the air on a jack. When I set the bike back on the floor the fork compresses 1 5/8" and then when I set on her it drops another 1/4" for a total of 1 7/8".

I just got off the phone with Progressive Tech, he said my spacer is to long making the front springs to stiff.
He said to take out the spacer and cut off another 1/4" at a time until I get a smoother ride. I told him I really didn't want to go lower then 1" and he said the 1/4" I cut off will lower the bike very little because of the Compensation spring on top.
I don't think they should call this a drop in kit on a King, now on my Sportys and my Dyna it was easy just take off the fork cap and the spacer popped right out. On a Turing bike it's a pain in the a$$, to much to take apart. I sure as he11 hope this guy is right.
To start with you have 4 3/4" total travel, subtract 1" that you lowered, now you have 3 3/4'" total travel, minus 1 7/8" sag, leaves you with 1 7/8" compression travel. Currently you are sitting at 1/2 total travel with your sag, not good, you should be at 1/3- 1/4 total travel. Shortenening your spacer is only going to increase your sag and decrease your compression stroke. If anything you need 5/8" longer spacers to get your sag closer to 1 1/4", or 1/3 total travel. You need to go back to the drawing board and relook this set up. Contact member Sailrider1, he can tell you how to get a nice 1" lowered set up.

Quick Reply: HELP front drop in lowering kit 'rides to hard'