Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forums can be a scary place.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:18 PM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain
Default Forums can be a scary place.

I have owned a few Harley’s over the years but never had one as my main ride.

Since 1983 I have done all my touring (a lot) on Goldwings. At 65 I figured I would finally try a HD for touring.

This winter I found a 2007 Ultra Classic with 7,300 miles on it, I bought it.

I sign up here on the forum & your guys have been a great help to me but I have to tell you this forum can also scare the hell out of a guy! Post after post of guy’s having issues. I just read the extended warranty thread – damn – In all my years on Wings I never bought an extended warranty – never needed a warranty, let alone an extended warranty. 29 years of riding without an issue. A few wing guys have had issues over the years but very few.

If you don’t believe me just go to a Goldwing forum – Read the post – most is about buying bling or how to install bling not about making repairs.

So my question is how many of you guys haven’t had any issue’s with your bikes – I know HD have sold a lot of motorcycles & the internet makes this a very small world so we hear more about bad things guy’s have but damn – I left Harley in the AMF days. I heard that Harley is really making a great bike the past few years – but if you visit the forum daily you begin to wonder.

From what I’m reading I need to see if there is anyone out there selling extended warranties for a used Harley? From what I’m reading here on the forum a person needs one? The Ultra will be used for longer runs 2 or 3 thousand miles. I like piece of mind, right now I don’t think I have that. Any good news out there. - tom

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:23 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

Ride a wing for almost 7 years without a problem other than fork seals. Owned my 09 SG since February without any issues (knock on wood).

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:32 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master

I think the thing to take into account is that, like someone said in a post I read a few days ago, most guys don't come here to post about how great their bikes are running. Here in beeyootiful Nebraska, I see a LOT more Harley's than I do Goldwings, BMW's, Triumph's, Etc. so proportionately, there will most likely be more issues. My last Ultra gave me close to 30,000 basically trouble free miles with normal maintenance. I'm hoping this new one does as well. And best of luck to you, as well.

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:38 PM
Wreckman
Advanced

I rode a wing for a few years a long time ago. Had a few issues(anti-freeze leaks). I have been long distance riding and have circled the lower 48 three times on Harleys. Not one issue not even an anti-freeze leak. I am leaving for Alaska in July on my 09 Ultra. Don't believe all you hear. If you keep a mental note of how many Harleys you pass on the road the odds are there will be some problems as most all I apass touring are Harleys. I have rode in 120 degree heat in the desert and snow in the mountains. I have pushed the speed to the high end in Montana for long hours and been stuck in traffic in Chicago. They are tough bikes. I came from the AMF years as well and remember stopping to pick up stuff that fell off going down the road and primitave workmanship. They are building good bikes and trust me they all have issues.
Ride safe and enjoy. Hope to pass you on the road.( I will wave)

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:41 PM
KWC6
Cruiser

I sold my Honda VTX 2005, 25,000 miles and just about trouble free. I got a 2011 Ultra last May, now have 11,000 miles. Only issue was a slow keek in front tire, finally replaced it under tire warranty road hassard. Love the HD. I agree with your post, sometimes it gets de easing. I have the extended warranty because I am one of the few it seems who like them. Enjoy your ride, get with a group of good HD riders.

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:49 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Worry about that bridge should you have to cross it, put some miles on it as see if the bike touches your soul. I'm guessing it will, and you will experience a more fullfilling ride. Probably wishing you would have crossed over sooner.

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:55 PM
Wreckman
Advanced

They truely get into you soul. I have a sense of freedom on my Harleys that I never had on any wing. I have been riding for 36 years and most of them on Harleys. I am not afraid to jump on my Utlra and ride to the top of the world.

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:56 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

5th gear is NOT gonna blow up, you DO NOT need IDS, you DO NOT need an SE comp, etc etc etc.....You do however need to ride the **** out of it and not baby it, its a Harley, not a sewing machine on two wheels, they like it when you beat them a little. Just like a good woman!

Old 04-12-2012 | 09:04 PM
Challenger
Road Master

33,500 miles. Nothing but gas and oil. Test rode a new 2012 Limited and loved it and am thinking about trading but damn my 04 just hums like a clock

Old 04-12-2012 | 09:17 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior

37,309 on my 08 and nothing but normal maintenance since new. Dealer did replace the HK radio a week after I bought it cause it wouldn't read any cd that was put in it.

Quick Reply: Forums can be a scary place.