Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forums can be a scary place.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012 | 04:44 PM
roadrunner1414
Road Master

I've got to agree with the OP. Bought my first HD after owning metrics that never gave an ounce of trouble regardless of the huge miles put on them.

Joined this forum and read all the reliability issues and the like and thought, damn I've made the biggest mistake ever. Could not believe people are talking rebuilds and major failures from 60k (or alot less in many cases) and did not seem like it was a big deal, just par for the course.

After a few months have started to understand that I think it is just more volume of bikes highlights more problems.....or I hope so anyway because I do love the HD.

Old 04-13-2012 | 05:19 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

I've never owned a Goldwing. But I've had Hondas. Buell. Ducati. Suzuki. None are any more or less problematic than the Harleys I've owned. I've had very few problems with any of these. If you're trying to make a case that Harleys are troublesome, at least the modern ones, you can't prove it by me. If you're trying to make the case that Goldwings are less problematic than Harleys, I can't offer any insight.

Alan

Old 04-13-2012 | 07:06 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

have had 3 wings and 4 Harleys , coil went out on the wifes Heritage and motor went on my Ultra , since then great and would never go back , Harleys have soul

Old 04-13-2012 | 07:59 PM
user 8373900
Banned

No Wing problems except a wave of frame breakage and did you ever try to change the air cleaner or alternator drive?

QUOTE=Tom Hudson;9658059]I have owned a few Harley’s over the years but never had one as my main ride.

Since 1983 I have done all my touring (a lot) on Goldwings. At 65 I figured I would finally try a HD for touring.

This winter I found a 2007 Ultra Classic with 7,300 miles on it, I bought it.

I sign up here on the forum & your guys have been a great help to me but I have to tell you this forum can also scare the hell out of a guy! Post after post of guy’s having issues. I just read the extended warranty thread – damn – In all my years on Wings I never bought an extended warranty – never needed a warranty, let alone an extended warranty. 29 years of riding without an issue. A few wing guys have had issues over the years but very few.

If you don’t believe me just go to a Goldwing forum – Read the post – most is about buying bling or how to install bling not about making repairs.

So my question is how many of you guys haven’t had any issue’s with your bikes – I know HD have sold a lot of motorcycles & the internet makes this a very small world so we hear more about bad things guy’s have but damn – I left Harley in the AMF days. I heard that Harley is really making a great bike the past few years – but if you visit the forum daily you begin to wonder.

From what I’m reading I need to see if there is anyone out there selling extended warranties for a used Harley? From what I’m reading here on the forum a person needs one? The Ultra will be used for longer runs 2 or 3 thousand miles. I like piece of mind, right now I don’t think I have that. Any good news out there. - tom[/QUOTE]

Old 04-13-2012 | 08:48 PM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

some of the wings 1st year 1800 had frame crack - only big issue that I know of - back in 1985 some had bad stators - not sure what you mean about tthe alternator drive - if your talking about the belts thats every 60,000 miles & is a no brainer - as far as changing air cleaner - thats no big deal either - - Have you ever adjusted or checked the valves on a V Rod - now thats fun

Old 04-13-2012 | 09:14 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner1414
I've got to agree with the OP. Bought my first HD after owning metrics that never gave an ounce of trouble regardless of the huge miles put on them.

Joined this forum and read all the reliability issues and the like and thought, damn I've made the biggest mistake ever. Could not believe people are talking rebuilds and major failures from 60k (or alot less in many cases) and did not seem like it was a big deal, just par for the course.

After a few months have started to understand that I think it is just more volume of bikes highlights more problems.....or I hope so anyway because I do love the HD.
That really is the case. Harley sells more bikes than any other brand in the U.S. so there are more problems to be reported. That being said I bought one of the original clatter glides from 07 and I needed IDS. The clattering several thousand miles later resulting in my primary main bearing failing and that later resulted in the compensator failing so I kind of disagree with the poster that says IDS and the SE compensator are not needed. If you got an 07 clatter glide that clattering really tears up the drive line side of things. I expect my final fix will be a transmission rebuild. Now that being said 40k miles later I'm still riding and enjoying it. I'm glad I bought the extended warranty but honestly most people don't use it and most bikes don't have the issues mine did.