Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forums can be a scary place.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012 | 01:49 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
After owning 50 or 60 motorcycles & with a few hundred thousand miles under my belt, I don't think I'm talking about something I know nothing about - you don't have to have a modified engine to know what’s going on - The key to your post is "If the engine is built right" - there are lots of folks out there building engines for themselves and for customers that may not have all the knowledge they really need sometimes - doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle or a street rod - I do agree if it modified with proven technology and by a proven mechanic a then rode with respect and maintained as it should be then yes nothing wrong with modifying a engine - if that's your thing -
I built Custom Guns for 40 years - you should have seen some of the poor workmanship that I have seen on firearms - Just because someone hangs out a shingle that say Gunsmith - doesn't make him a Gunsmith.
50 or 60 motorcycles, holy $hit! 40 years and a total of 7 Harleys, 3 of which I still have............. But onward, yes, the key is not only if the engine is built right, but maintained and operated properly. There may be more maintenance on certain items, after all, you may be straining something else. For instance, I don't expect to get 100,000 out of my lifters, I might, but I shouldn't be surprised if I don't. I also don't spend every moment on the throttle, doing hole shots, trying to do wheelies, whatever. Longevity and reliability, whether stock or modified is not just what has been done, but what is being done, a combination of all things mentioned. If a person is not qualified in any area of building the machine, riding it or maintaining it, yes, reliability and ultimately longevity will suffer. But, just like a fine handgun, of which I own a few, some tender loving care, proper maintenance, proper use and a lifetime of longevity.

Old 04-13-2012 | 01:52 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

sure is great to see positive post - makes me feel better

It would be interesting to know the real number of HD's on the road! It would be a "BIG" number -

I figured the bike would be good for maybe 40 or 50 thousand miles and then maybe a new top end - I can live with that - at my age I am slowing up - My wife has some serious health issues that I need to be home so i'm not going to be putting the miles on as I have in the past - maybe 7 or 8 thousand a year tops plus I normaly have 3 or 4 bikes in the stable - so this Ultra might be my last touring bike - but i never say never! - tom
With proper maintenance you will see 100K out of it.
I have 60K + on my 07 and am not afraid to go anywhere on it.

I have developed a small oil leak at my inner primary gasket, but hey, "Harleys don't leak, they just mark their territory"............

Old 04-13-2012 | 02:18 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer

The internet is a strange and wonderful place. I've gotten a ton of useful information here but have also rolled my eyes at a lot of the fodder that gets posted.

2500 miles on my 2012 Limited and no problems yet. That should put your mind at ease.

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:00 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

No major problems with my 05 with 54,000 miles.
This winter I had: new rocker box cover seals, new cam chain tensioners and new cam bearings installed.

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:01 PM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter

2500 miles on my 2012 Limited and no problems yet. That should put your mind at ease.
Damn - that's amazing!

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:02 PM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by frog13
50 or 60 motorcycles, holy $hit! 40 years and a total of 7 Harleys, 3 of which I still have..............
there are a few pic's of my bikes from the past on my site - tom

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:08 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

If you don’t believe me just go to a Goldwing forum – Read the post – most is about buying bling or how to install bling not about making repairs.
tom
I suspect the Goldwing riders don't watch "Orange County Choppers" and the like, and believe that they are ace customizers.
"a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous"

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:08 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer

Damn - that's amazing!
I know. From what I've read here, I expected it to fall to pieces as soon as I rode it off the lot.

I do change the oil religiously every 5 miles or so.

Old 04-13-2012 | 03:15 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phadreus
So...the question in my mind is, how far can one buildup an HD motor beyond stock before they begin loosing longevity, reliability? I don't know myself, but it is something I think about allot when considering future plans for my bike.
We built tons of motors in baggers making 120-150 hp that had gone beyond 25000 miles with no issues, several of them got sevearly ubused, lots of races lots of long hard miles. There were several guys that used to hang around here with big inch big horse power builds that did lots of long distance riding. Build it RIGHT and it will live with proper maintenance, fall short on the build or the maintenance and your milage will suffer appropriatly

Last edited by hog-doc; 04-14-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2012 | 03:37 PM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
I know. From what I've read here, I expected it to fall to pieces as soon as I rode it off the lot.

I do change the oil religiously every 5 miles or so.

I assume you use Amsoil - my problem is i have a pre 09 & i worry about my frame busting in half - I hate it when that happens

Last edited by Tom Hudson; 04-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Forums can be a scary place.