Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forums can be a scary place.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012 | 12:13 AM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by av ultra
I love my 10 ultra, the thing about harleys is they are so damm simple, if you can take apart a briggs & stratten lawn mower you can work on your harley. Also if you keep it stock and are ok with that (not me) it will run forever, but the really cool thing I like about harleys is how well they respond to mods.
I have 2 restored vintage BMW airheads - you can almost rebuild one along side the road - great old school motorcycles - the new BMW's are also great bikes but along the way they have lost something & in 2013, BMW's will be water pumpers & at that point they will have lost what the company was built on but to stay in business it's something they must do -

Old 04-13-2012 | 12:22 AM
Tom Hudson
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Markymannn
I would think the guys that do a lot of engine work and other custom stuff are the ones who end up with reliability problems
I agree with you on that - not all but most. It's for sure some of the guys are pushing these engines to their limits & then some & that’s OK if that’s their thing - I just believe a Harley is what it is & if I wanted to go 200 MPH on a motorcycle I would buy another Hayabusa! It was designed from the get go to go fast & it does it very well. Matter of fact at 65 years old I would like to have another one if nothing else than to just look at it - It looks like it's going 100 MPH just setting in the garage! I bought myself one for my 60th birthday present - like a dumbass I sold it - maybe I’ll buy another one when I’m 70

Old 04-13-2012 | 04:51 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been riding street bikes since the mid 70's, only my last 2 have been Harley, ok, I'll admit I've had more issues with the Harleys, but that's only because I enjoy them so much until I ride more than 5x the amount of miles I had on any previous bike, lol.

Old 04-13-2012 | 05:18 AM
Steve52
Intermediate

Bought my first Harley in Sept. '10. Previous bikes (8) had all been metric, and virtually trouble free. Guys I ride with are all HD types and their advice to me was simply keep up with the basic maintenance and ride it forever.
The connection with the Harley as a rider isn't something easily explained. They are unique.
Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 04-13-2012 | 06:12 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

I just bought a new RK and am trying to decide about extending the warranty for the peace of mind thing. I have owned 2 Harleys over the past 10 years and both were bullet proof, no trouble ever. But, I am working now, and won't be by the time the 2-yr new bike warranty runs out, so am leaning towards getting the extension. i have a few weeks before H-D tacks on a $150 extra fee. BTW, we are the same age.

Old 04-13-2012 | 06:27 AM
Ezlivn
Advanced

I think alot of it has to do with the rider and the way he rides. I have 55,000 miles on my 2001 Ultra. I know I know....that's only 5,000 miles per year but I live in Maine and have a busy job that limits my riding. My bike has been a great bike. This year I brought it in for a little service work and the mechanic told me he heard some funny noises he wasn't comfortable with. Long story short we decided to put in a 95 inch kit. That's basically the ONLY money I've put into this bike in 10 years of riding and quite frankly I think it was time for a little upgrade anyway. I've looked at the new bikes and then look at my 2001 and still love it.
On the other hand....I have a friend who has a 2002 Road King....great bike but HE can not keep his hands off of it. By that I mean he can't stop tinkering with the engine....always has to be the fastest guy.....so in turn.....while we are all RIDING.....he is wrenching on his bike.
I prefer to ride when I can.

Old 04-13-2012 | 06:39 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Welcome and congrats on the new ride! I used to ride other bikes also and still have them in my garage. I LOVE my rocker and would never give it up!!!!! I have had a few problems, but not nearly enough to change bikes, EVER! They might have an issue here or there but the ride is awesome and we all work together to resolve them. NOW...the so called extended warranty...I personally think they are a rip off and if you know someone in sales they will tell you the same. Big bucks and a mandatory 2 year overlap with your MOCO warranty...scam. Oh, if they find a way to deny your claim...bike add-on, etc. they will...I have NEVER bought extended warranties. Everytime they offer you one on something you bought, take that money and put it in a sep.bank account and use it for repairs, if needed. Also, find a good indept. mechanic you can trust. They are around and way better than factory service!!! They take the time that is needed, NOT what the factory book says...Ride safe.

Old 04-13-2012 | 06:44 AM
chamokie
Supporter

Good machine, take care of it, it will take care of you. Simple as that

Old 04-13-2012 | 07:22 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Funny, we were just talking about this at work today. You say that, and many think that but so many screw it up sooooo often!
And I could be wrong then too LOL. I could use a 130HP bike. Sounds good!

I trashed my lawn mower 2 days ago as I gave up on the B&S engine. Funny thing is I put it at the curb on garbage night and it wasn't there a full minute before the guys cruising for scrap metal grabbed it

Old 04-13-2012 | 07:28 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Funny, we were just talking about this at work today. You say that, and many think that but so many screw it up sooooo often!
I think that is exactly the point Markymann was making in his post (that you jumped all over). Stock Harleys are very reliable. The guys that have trouble are the ones that do mods and do them ineptly, either themselves or by others. (In a recent thread, a member had cams done by an indy and the consensus was that the timing was off a tooth.)

Because these forums are populated mostly by folks that are not content to leave their bikes stock, more issues arise. Also, who is going to start a thread that says "My Harley is still running great. Nothing to report."

Relax. You (and your bike) will be fine.

Quick Reply: Forums can be a scary place.