Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted inner fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
scomike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted inner fairing

My inner fairing has started to fade at the upper ends and i am thinking about having it painted. Should I go with the color of the bike? or black? or some other contrast?
you can see the color of my bike in the picture below.

thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I would match the bike, but that's me...

Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 AM
brendanstl
Advanced

I agree, match the paint on the bike. Maybe a very light pearl of the color or metal flake.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on what you like, but anything is better than fade.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the color of the stripes

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Match the color of the bike.

Shakey

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I went the same route but then i also added the dash pad and Garmin road tech Zumo installed hidden in the inner fairing. the best thing is you can appreciate the bucks you spent every time you ride the bike because you are looking right at it. I love the upgrade on my bike. Attached is a "before" and "after" look. its like Night and day. Best bucks spent so far for me. Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Painted inner fairing-pb100002.jpg   Painted inner fairing-pb150003.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
miken488
Novice
Default Change Inner Fairing

HDMAN6
Looks great. Did you change this out yourself, if so how difficult was it, I am getting ready to tackle this myself.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
V-RoyD
Advanced

I did mine myself, it's a long job, I think the dealer gets about 5 hours. I pulled mine, had my painting buddy spray it. Probably the hardest part is getting the fairing cap off. I don't have the tool to align the ign. sw. but I used a small chisel or you would have to grind down a screwdriver to fit. Since yours is an 03, hope it isn't one of H-D's "protected" colors they won't sell the paint for. I had a silver & black 03 & the silver couldn't be bought or matched. I found the stripe tape on Ebay but don't know if it is a good copy or not.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

At first I was going to do it myself with a friend who would have painted it for me as well. The down side was the bike would have been in pieces for a long time. I was going to do a 2-tone effect at first. Then i got the Idea to get the same as the CVO setup along with the Zumo road tech. It was at this point I made the decision to have the dealer do the install. They charged me 4.5 hrs labor. But considering new painted inner had to be drilled in the correct places for the Zumo and to rewire and re-install everything I /we felt it was best to get it back together asap. I hate having left over parts. Also I have read the Ing switch is a bit tricky too. So now its together and all works great. The parts for this job are the CVO parts that are only listed in the dealer parts book. I also added a oil temp gauge ,replacing the useless air temp while it was apart. I also added the NIM interface to the radio. I am very happy with job and don't regret paying the dealer to do it at all. It would have taken me a very long time to do right and then who knows what was wired wrong etc when something dosen't work. I would have to trouble shoot that as well. I just didn't have the time it what it boils down to. Sometimes its good to go with the hunches and pay a little to get it done right the first time. I was just visioning a scratched or drilled wrong inner fairing after it was just painted etc that would have been my worst nightmare. So now I have a stock black inner fairing in the basement that I may sell on ebay. Jeff

Quick Reply: Painted inner fairing